Need advice on laptop for photo editing (Lightroom/PSE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebsund

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Working with Lightroom and PSE (and some Bibble) on my 4 year old Dell Inspiron laptop is becoming more and more of a chore - so I've started the process of looking for an upgrade to a zippier computer - hoping that postprocessing might get fun again!

1_What is your budget?
Thinking about £800-1200.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Lookin at 15"-17", strong preference for anti-glare/matte screens. It appears that the screens on consumer range laptops aren't too suitable for photo work. I can live with that given I'm getting an external monitor anyway, but suggestions on models with good screens are welcome.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Minimum 900-1600

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not top priority, but say 3-4hrs

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
not going to play any games

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
I'm going to use it for photo editing in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop Elements. Some light video editing of shorter home videos as well.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Minimum 320 GB, preferably 500 GB. Harddisk should preferably be 7200 rpm

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I'm hoping to keep it 5 years, so need a reliable model

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Not priority, preference for DVD writer.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
From what I've found, Toshiba, Asus, Lenovo (and apple) are known to deliver quality machines. I've read mixed comments on HP, Dell and Acer - at least regarding their consumer lineup. Dell and HP has some nicely spec'ed laptops though. Maybe the difference between consumer and high-end lines are larger than between the brands. Should i maybe consider the business lines like Dell Latidue, Hp Probook or Lenovo Thinkpad? Then there's Sony, I'm reading mixed things about that brand as well.

13_What country do you live in?
Norway

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
WIth regards to CPU, I'm thiking in the line of Intel core i5,i7 or AMD Phenom
Ports are important, I need HDMI or DisplayPort for external monitor, and a fast connection (eSata or USB 3.0) for external harddisk.
Ideas on specific model lines I have in mind are Hp envy 15" or 17", HP Probook 6550, Dell Studio 15 or 17, Dell Latitude E5510/E6510 Asus N71ja

I'm sure there are a number of other suitable models. Any advice from knowledgeable people here on the forum is welcome

best regards,
Eirik Bjerve Sund

ebsund

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I'll buy locally in Norway, from retail or internet stores. No point in buying from international web stores, as guarantees and return conditions are generally much better here in Norway (for which we pay a hefty premium though). Generally, with imported items, the Norwegian agents wond handle claims on goods bought abroad. You'll get most models from all major brands here - exceptions seem to be MSI, Gateway and to a certain extent Toshiba (which is a pity, because Toshiba seems to have some good models).

Status
Not open for further replies.