Need advice on new laptop purchase ($750-$1250)

junknone

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I'm buying a new laptop for scientific image processing work and could use some expert advice.

1_What is your budget?
Around $750-$1250 USD.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I'd prefer a screen size of 15.4" or better, but might be willing to compromise if it can be plugged into an external monitor.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Not sure, but I'll be working with graphics so it cannot be too terrible.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
It needs to be portable, but I don't mind carrying around a lead brick if it means a better/cheaper laptop.

5_How much battery life do you need?
6-12 hours.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
If it can play games like Eve or Titan Questwith the high end settings turned on then it should be able to do everything I need it to actually do.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
Intensive scientific number crunching (such as large volume, 2kx2kx2k pixel fourier transforms), large volume rendering/editing/visualization, etc.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
100 GB should be plenty as long as there are enough connectors for large eternal drives.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Not considering any specific sites right now.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
It needs to be useful for at least 3 years.

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
I need damage protection.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I prefer brands established for quality over new stuff that hasn't been around long enough for flaws to show up.

13_What country do you live in?
United States

TRENDING THREADS