Need advice on which laptop specs to look for.

DXXPublic

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
HI all, i would like to request your assistance on which laptop will fit my needs.. Ive taken the questions on the laptop buyers FAQ and filled them so i hope its enough information

1. What is your budget? 500-800

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? I would like a light 14" screen

3. What screen resolution do you want? My company laptop has a resolution of 1600x900 and i believe its ok for the needs. I would like it to support more when i attach it to an external 24" monitor

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop Replacement

5. How much battery life do you need? 2 hours will suffice

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Gaming will be a secondary task i might do. The only game i might play is World of Warcraft. Med Quality will be ok.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Primarly i would be using this system to have VMWare or Virtual Box with Windows 2008 Server, Kali for pentesing, Win 7/8 image for testing running and also tools like Nessus for vulnerability scanning. Besides that normal daily operations as email, browsing, downloading stuff, social networks, movies, photoshop, etc.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 1TB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. amazon or newegg or depending of the price i might buy it locally if available (since im outside US)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? I would say at least 3-4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD Writer just in case

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No preference

13. What country do you live in? Panama

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed: Hopefully you could assist me on pointing me the min required specs to get to do the required tasks smoothly. I would like to avoid the system to stutter or lag when im performing any kind of testing so it should be fast.

Thanks in advance

Juan

Solution
In that price range, you're going to have a hard time finding a laptop that will run virtual machines well on top of the OS. Based on what you've said above, here's what I'd suggest.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231312

aford10

Distinguished
In that price range, you're going to have a hard time finding a laptop that will run virtual machines well on top of the OS. Based on what you've said above, here's what I'd suggest.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231312

Solution