Need advice - want to purchase new gaming laptop (semi-high end)

OscarWA

Estimable
Oct 1, 2015
Hello everyone! As the topic says I am looking to buy a laptop for gaming and general use. I have a decent gaming desktop but am currently living abroad and using an Acer Aspire 5820TG which has served me well but is having difficulty keeping up. Hence the desire to upgrade.

When I've looked around so far the Auros X5 or the Origin EON 15X have stood out. I would probably get the latter, if it wasn't for the fact that shipping is prohibitively expensive (also I've never had an Origin, and any support would probably rack up further shipping charges).

Filled out form from the sticky in spoiler below. Appreciate any tips/thoughts/suggestions. Thank you!

1. What is your budget? Approx. EUR 2,500 / USD 2800

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6'' (or close, but no 14 or 17 models).

3. What screen resolution do you want? No preference.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement primarily.

5. How much battery life do you need? Not a priority.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes, high.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) General use (browsing, watching videos etc. - nothing taxing).

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Have a preference for more storage, would prefer SSD for bootup and largeish HDD.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Haven't considered any site.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2-3 years minimum

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? None.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No strong preferences, brand wise. I do prefer laptops which do not look very "gamer-y", which in practice rules out Alienware and similar

13. What country do you live in? Malta (which seems to mean that the only real option is ordering online).

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

OscarWA

Estimable
Oct 1, 2015
Thank you Xibyth! That does actually look like a very attractive option (downside is shipping, but the overall bang-for-buck of that machine would seem to make up for it).

As a comparison, the best laptop I've managed to find in Malta (so far) is this. With shipping the Xidax one is about EUR 100 more (that is with the 1080 rather than 4k monitor though, for some reason I could not take the config you linked me to checkout due to a "compatibility warning"). The main difference seems to be that the Xidax one is considerably lighter and has more storage - which is worth the difference to me.

Also seems to hold up favorably compared to the X5 which is a lot more expensive (approx. EUR 600 more).

Thanks a lot for your input - I'll consider it, and would love to hear if you have any more insights.

Xibyth

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
Yes I see that now, you may have to talk to them directly rather than using the online configuration. Seems the site is broken.