Need an ultra-portable and yet powerful laptop for ~$1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

fardad89

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
1) What is your budget? $1000ish

2) What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Between 12.5" to 14", preferably 13"

3) What screen resolution do you want? The higher, the better

4) Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Both! I have to carry it around campuse all day, and I'm gonna hook it up to a 24" LED at night and use it as a desktop

5) How much battery life do you need? As much as possible, but at least 5-6 hours with WiFi

6) Do you want to play games with your laptop? No

7) What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Surfing the web, running casual softwares such as Microsoft Office, streaming online videos (mostly HD), some engineering softwares and other programs such as MATLAB

8) How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? Not much, 250GB is more than enough

9) If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Preferably Amazon

10) How long do you want to keep your laptop? Until death to us apart!

11) What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Don't really need one, a USB port is enough (but having a DVD Burner wouldn't hurt)

12) Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I don't have any brand preference. No specific brand, I just care about the quality.

13) What country do you live in? US

14) Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm gonna be a sophomore next year (Electrical Engineering), and it's time to upgrade my current 3.5-year-old dv6700 HP laptop. I'm in no rush, just need it by the fall. I want these features (as well as the ones mentioned above):
1) Sleek and portable (between 3 to 4 lbs)
2) Really powerful (preferably i7, at least i5), it's gonna be my primary computer for a couple of years
3) Good and decent battery
4) Prefarably a SSD drive, i never had one before but I heard it's super fast! :D
5) NO HEAT!!!

Also, I saw these two laptops. Anyone can give any suggestion on these too?

1) Toshiba Portege R835-P56x
PROS: Light and portable (perfect size), decent spec, perfect price, will get a FREE XBOX from Amazon if I order fast!
CONS: NO i7, NO SSD :(

2) Customized Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E220s: Intel Core i7-2617M Processor (1.5GHz up to SC 2.6GHz, 4MB L3) - 12.5" W HD (1366 x 768) LED - Intel HD Graphics 3000 - 4 GB RAM - 128 GB SSD - Bluetooth 3.0 - Price (after discounts) ~ $1100
PROS: has everything I want
CONS: a little pricey, not sure about the 1.5GHz CPU, no free xbox!

BTW, is it possible if I buy the Toshiba and then replace its hard drive with a SSD myself? That way it's only gonna cost me about $250 to get a 120GB SSD. However, I'm not sure about the warranty of the laptop and the complexity of the installation.

I'm really confuesed, so I'd appreciate any help, Thanks :ange:

Solution
Yes you can. Recommended to bypass the huge premium the OEMs charge for a SSD. You can put the HDD into an external case and connect it via USB and use it for a backup/storage/alternate boot drive.
Warranty work? Replace the HDD and send it in.
You'll be able to create a DVD disc with the OS to reinstall on the SSD.
Yes you can. Recommended to bypass the huge premium the OEMs charge for a SSD. You can put the HDD into an external case and connect it via USB and use it for a backup/storage/alternate boot drive.
Warranty work? Replace the HDD and send it in.
You'll be able to create a DVD disc with the OS to reinstall on the SSD.

Solution

fardad89

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

As for the warranty, does Toshiba puts a label on the HDD so they could know if the drive was removed?

Also, if this is doable, then I only have one more reason stopping me from getting a Portege, and that is which one is a better CPU? i7-2617M (1.5GHz up to SC 2.6GHz, 4MB L3) or i5-2410M (3M Cache, 2.30 GHz)?

Only Toshiba (or another Portege R835-P56X owner) can definitely answer that question.
I would only be guessing - but my guess is no, a HDD/SSD swap would not void the warranty.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
No sticker covering HDD bay. Have two toshibia. Have replaced both with a SSD and have replaced both of their DVD drives with a Blu-ray Rom/DVD-RW drive and increased both's memory to 4 gigs (4 gigs is pretty much standard now).

Could not quickly find bench mark comparision, But here is a good chip camparision:
http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/processors/comparison-chart.htm

Have to run UPS just delievered my New samsung laptop
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131116

Status
Not open for further replies.