Need for speed!

mpalmbos

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hello All,
I'm interested in finding the bottle neck before I purchase hardware.
I have a dell inspiron 1526 laptop with a seagate 500GB @ 7200RPM. I'm thinking about getting an express card with usb 3.0 and also an Asus 12x (write speed) External Blu-Ray Burner.

I'm wondering if my the 7200RPM HDD is still too slow or if the express card with the usb 3.0 will be the bottleneck? Or is there something else I'm overlooking?

Solution
Actually, if you eliminate the USB 2.0 bottleneck, your slowest component is the BD drive, not the HDD and/or the SATA I connection.

mpalmbos

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Thanks for the help C12 - still a little confused - maybe I should ask how do all the speeds compare (the 7200 rpm hdd connected via serial ata-150 and the express card with usb 3.0 connected to a 12x Asus external blu ray burner). I really don't understand all the specs. Why aren't all devices compared by their respective read and write speeds (even if they are theoretical)? The read and write speeds of any device certainly are not easy to find on the web.

Basically it sounds like I should just get a slower external blu ray burner and use an already available usb 2.0 port.

But I am considering future proofing the burner = buying the Asus with usb 3.0 even if it has to slow down to usb 2.0???

Any other thoughts are very much appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Yes it'll work but just be slower transferring between the external Blue ray and hard drive.

I'm almost to the point where I'm not sure if you're this stupid or just trolling. I'd much rather see the second, unless you're about 60 or older (if not my faith in humanity is declining).

mpalmbos

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
I mean c12friedman seem to suggest that the slowest point of my hardware would be serial ata 150 = why waste money on express card usb 3.0 adapter and 12x BD burner if the rest of my hardware can't keep up?

Thanks again for the help!

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I'm sorry but there are too many forum trolls. The only point in getting that over something that is USB 2.0 is that in the future if you get a new computer it'll be faster than getting a USB 2.0 now and later having a computer with USB 3.0 but the drive is still stuck on USB 2.0 speeds.