Need general advice on new laptop

AndrewKos

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
So I recently switched to a new relatively powerful laptop, but it came with a whole bunch of unpleasant surprises. It runs smooth as butter for most purposes, like Internet or movies, but it really suffers on the gaming side of things (and since I'm on summertime vacation right now it bothers me much). I don't play a lot of games, but most of those I do became borderline unusable. Just describing a few is going to be a long list of concerns:

1. Games like Civ5 and Tropico randomly cause it to turn off after 5-6 min of gameplay on anything other than Low graphical settings
2. TF2 weirdly behaves normal and runs smooth for 15-20 seconds after joining a server, but goes down to like 2 or 3 FPS after any people show up on screen (and TF2 is known to run on potatoes)
3. Terraria runs OK with Frame Skipping on, but descends to very bad stuttering and FPS drops after 15-20 minutes of gameplay

And the list goes on

I checked specifically, all of the above should run on my machine, it passes even the Recommended settings

My specs are:

- Intel Core i5 - 7200U (2.5 - 3.1 HHz)
- 8 GB RAM
- 1 TB HDD
- 4 GB AMD Radeon R7 M440 + Intel HD Graphics 620
(HP Notebook 15-ay006ur (Z3E42EA))

I could use a bunch of advice:

1. What can I possibly do to fix these issues? My guess would be overheating (but then again, it is a fresh device; is it not supposed not to overheat?) and/or something off in AMD settings, but I can't seem to be able to pinpoint what exactly. I mean, TF2 for the least can definitely do much better
2. Is something maybe off in the device itself? Again, it's brand new, almost definitely nothing on my department, and I still have my warranty
3. Are there any similar but reliably functional alternative laptops (not necessarily but possibly with lower budget)? My return time is 14 days, and I still have the opportunity to get at least most of my cash back

Any help would be strongly appreciated

Solution
i would monitor the temps during idle and gaming session.if your laptop turns off during gaming then there is definitely issue with the laptop temp.if its still new i suggest returning to get it check.