Need headphones for high quality league of legends sound and music

taylorswift

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Ok I have been going crazy for days reading tons of reviews on different headsets and I still can't find the right headphones for me :( I'm really in need of some help on this.

I mainly play league of legends and listen to music. I have no need for the headphones to have a mic on them but if they do have one thats fine. I'd rather have higher quality sound in the headset then have a mic built into it. Comfort and sound are the 2 key things for me. The best headsets I think I found so far are either the sennheiser 598hd or the sennheiser pc 360. But I really am undecided on this and I'm open to more suggestions. Please help <3

( the reason I am leaning towards sennheiser is because I heard they have superior audio quality. I know the 598hd isn't specifically designated for "gaming" but I've heard gaming on nice sounding headphones is often very nice.)

Oh also, I have no idea if something like 7.1 surround sound works well with league of legends but if it does, maybe I'll look into it. My budget is maxed around $200-$220

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
There are two things you need to look for:
- look for a circumaural headset (i.e. large cups go around your ears, they don't sit ON your ears). IMO that's the key to making them comfortable.
- decide if you want closed or open cups. Open means some sound will escape and bother people in the same room, but your ears won't get hot after wearing them for a while. The PC 360 is open.

taylorswift

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks for your help :) Yea that's the main thing that has attracted me to the sennheisers. The very big opening will allow my full ear to fit inside it which will make it more comfortable on me, especially since I wear glasses. I am usually alone in my room when gaming so I don't mind if sound escapes or if other sounds can come in because it is usually very quiet at the time of night when I start gaming. Have you used your 360's for league of legends or battlefield by any chance? If so, how is the sound quality?

taylorswift

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Alright that helps some, I don't think I'd use them for movies but for music I would definitely. All I need to know now is if they sound nice on video games and if there are any better ones out there in my price range.

Also, does anyone know if the headphones would sound better if I bought a mixamp or a sound card for my computer?

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Are your ears good? Some people say they can feel an improvement with a sound card over onboard audio, but some don't. I had a $60 Sound Blaster last year. When it died I didn't replace it. I can't say I noticed a difference.

taylorswift

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
lol I honestly don't know if my ears are "good." I mean I can tell the difference in the soudn quality of a crappy mp3 file song and the cd version of it, but I'm not sure if my ears are "good" enough to tell a difference in the on board sound vs sound card department. But I'd like to hope so lol xD

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Try this experiment: rip a song from CD. Compress it as mp3 at 256 Kbps. Listen to the wav file and to the mp3 file. If you can still feel a difference then by all means get a sound card, and congratulations for your ears. I can feel the diff with 128 kbps vs wav, but not with 256 kbps.