Need help - Lenovo y700 17isk wifi is weak

MartinsD

Estimable
Sep 19, 2014
Hello. I need your advice on how to boost wifi signal on to this laptop? Was on country side and they have wifi in one of houses, i lived in other house ~20m from first. So WiFi signal was pretty weak but able to find a spot with decent signal on my htc phone or mothers prestigio tapblet, but for some freakin reason thislaptop barely got 1 line of wifi signal if i press it to the corner of the house(closest to wifi location) After that i was prtty mad as all my three day trip was a disaster with reading old jornals b4 bed :D

So can you suggest any stuff that will boost wifi reciving to this laptop if wifi is located around 20 meters away in other house? Will it be enough to buy that wifi usb stick at ~20euros....not sure what i need as pretty stupid with all these things.

Thank you!

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016
Do me a favor open task manager click on wifi and tell me what it says the device is. it might help to know what wifi chipset you are working with, I can pick my router up about 1.5 miles down the road with lots of trees and stuff in the way, with a phone, my laptop can as well. So you must have a bad chipset.

MartinsD

Estimable
Sep 19, 2014

ntel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

Hmm that's a pretty strong device do the walls contain stone or metal I'm talking a lot of metal because that can degrade the signal. You shouldn't be having soo many issues. :(.

MartinsD

Estimable
Sep 19, 2014

Yes, that oldd house is built from stones. prolly 60cm thick. But phone and cheap tablet gets signal alot better than this laptop...that should have better wifi at this price?! I tried at window, where its direct line to house with wifi and from part of the house where its made from wood + 70% room are windows, but still signal is very bad. I had to get close to wifi to find it and after that i could receive very very bad signal in other house, before that i didnt even show available wifi signal.

So even if i got a crappy chip, will this usb stick will help with that, if im planning on using laptop wheres no stone wall between signal? Will Cisco Linksys AE1000 do the trick as its top 1 on top ten reviews? Or any other suggestions in close to that price range?

Or something like this with stock antenna or some better version? Hawking Technology HWUN3

Anyways, thank you for help!