Need help making a lap top decision $500-$1000

ragekage

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
My girlfriend's pc is pretty outdated, and doesn't perform very well anymore with all the crap her family puts on it. This is kind of a big issue for her since video editing is one of her favorite hobbies. Downloading all these clips, videos, and songs takes up quite a bit of space, and it's a real pain in the ass working with all this material on a really slow computer. So anyway, she wants to get a laptop for video editing and college purposes. This is what I got to work with:

1_What is your budget?
$500-$1000, would prefer to stay closer to the minimum value
2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14-16
3_What screen resolution do you want?
well the inspiron has 1280x800 so lets go with that.
4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Mostly desktop replacement, but it may travel to and from school occasionally.
5_How much battery life do you need?
3hoursish? whatever's standard
6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
she enjoys playing rpgs every now and then. like dungeon siege, lord of the rings, diablo type stuff.
7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, photoshop, school work, games occasionally, the usual stuff
8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
160+
9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/laptops_great_deals?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ref=homepg
I was thinking about the dell Inspiron 1525 for $599 best value deal. It's the same as the $799 dell Inspiron with a battery and wifi downgrade. I here so much about the dell XPS 1530 laptops that I figured dell's lower end laptops should be worth the money then. I think the XPS 1530 would be great, but I don't think she really wants to spend that much.
10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2 maybe 3 years
11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
I just wanna make sure that whatever laptop she buys is worth the money. I don't want to get suckered in to some bargain, and find out it's crap.
12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
no preference
13_What country do you live in?
USA

So is the inspiron worth the money? Should I beef it up for $799? is there better options for the same price? those are the questions running through my head x_x. maybe you guys could provide me with a list of "best for 600ish", "best for 800ish", "best for 1000ish"

thanks