Solved! Need help making sure I purchase a sufficient laptop for completing healthcare course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2021
I am trying to complete the American Heart Associations ACLS (advanced cardiac life support) eLearning course, but last time I did the BLS (Basic Life Support), my better laptop was very slow (about 3 seconds for every 1 second of simulation time).

So in short, I am looking to post and inquiry into a laptop purchase. The current computer I used for BLS is an HP Pavillion 7, 4GB of RAM, and an AMD A6-3420M APU. The computer has a 64 bit processor.

The American Heart association minimally recommends Windows 7, 4 GB of RAM, and an intel pentium 4.1 Ghz or Intel Core 2 Duo 1.33 Ghz. The website with the specs is here: https://elearning.heart.org/static/technicalspecs

I am shopping on Newegg and Amazon and looking to spend 500 to 800 dollars. I am not a gamer, designer, or engineer. I would like to view some of the community recommendations and am not opposed to AMD processors if I can confirm that the processor is more capable than the minimum specs listed. I am also not looking to just scoot by, I would like to be a few steps ahead of the recommended specs so I could use the laptop for this purpose for 6 to 8 years to come.

I also would appreciate an education in being able to compare processors myself to further confirm any recommendations I get here. Thanks for the help.

Matt

Reactions: alexsaunders790
Solution
Your laptop is slower compared to new ones, but it is way over what the specs required for that course.

I suggest simply a new Windows setup using a factory reset or for Windows 10 using the MS download of the media once you backup your files and bookmarks to an external drive on your system, and maybe adding another 4 GB of RAM. Crucial.com is good to do a scan on the system and show you compatible RAM.
Your laptop is slower compared to new ones, but it is way over what the specs required for that course.

I suggest simply a new Windows setup using a factory reset or for Windows 10 using the MS download of the media once you backup your files and bookmarks to an external drive on your system, and maybe adding another 4 GB of RAM. Crucial.com is good to do a scan on the system and show you compatible RAM.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.