Solved! Need help w/ finding the right laptop

Rivertoyz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Hello. I like to purchase a laptop but need help with find the right one. Any info, tips, advice or general knowledge or opinions would be greatly appreciate.
1. What is your budget? $2000 alittle more ok

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17 plus

3. What screen resolution do you want? at least 1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? desktop replacement but may take it with me once in a while

5. How much battery life do you need?3 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? like the option to if i wanted to play

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
audio/ photo editing, watch movies, photoshop use, surfing the web
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2-4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?not sure I have dvd rom/writer on old desktop. bluray is new to me so not sure but having more options is always better :)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I was looking at the HP envy 17 3D series like no finger print showing on case and dr.dre beats and asus g73jw-a1 design for heat venting. Alienware or Mac look nice too.

13. What country do you live in? only the best... U.S.A

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I like to hook up my bigger monitor sometimes and watch a game on the go if possible

I hope this can help people to better find their ideal notebook.

Additionally... you should also consider what support options are available in your area. If say you buy something abroad, will you be able to have it fixed near where you live? Does the warranty apply? How quickly do local accredited technicians fix laptops?

Solution
Hello Rivertoyz;
For that budget you'll get a really awesome laptop.
I'm going to suggest you start out looking at the HP ENVY 17 @ $1300 and up-configured to $1860 with a quad core CPU and a 1920x1080 LCD monitor.
For that price you'll get a i7-720QM Quad Core CPU 1.6GHz Turbo to 2.8GHz (upgrade), 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD, 17.3" 1920x1080 LED LCD (upgrade) with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 video card.

With a $2000 budget you might want to wait a few weeks and grab one of the new generation SandyBridge equipped laptops.
A more powerful/faster CPU and a next generation GPUs as well. AMD has it's new 6000series mobility chips and Nvidia is pushing it's new 500 series with the new SandyBridge laptops.
AMD launches Radeon HD 6000M...
Hello Rivertoyz;
For that budget you'll get a really awesome laptop.
I'm going to suggest you start out looking at the HP ENVY 17 @ $1300 and up-configured to $1860 with a quad core CPU and a 1920x1080 LCD monitor.
For that price you'll get a i7-720QM Quad Core CPU 1.6GHz Turbo to 2.8GHz (upgrade), 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD, 17.3" 1920x1080 LED LCD (upgrade) with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 video card.

With a $2000 budget you might want to wait a few weeks and grab one of the new generation SandyBridge equipped laptops.
A more powerful/faster CPU and a next generation GPUs as well. AMD has it's new 6000series mobility chips and Nvidia is pushing it's new 500 series with the new SandyBridge laptops.
AMD launches Radeon HD 6000M Series Laptop GPUs
Nvidia launch GeForce GT 500M series and GTX 485M GPU
Intel Core i7-2720QM Sandy Bridge
Intel’s Sandy Bridge: Upheaval in the Mobile Landscape

For very close to the same price as that HP Envy you should be able to get the next gen CPU and GPU.

Solution