Need help. Weird issues caused maybe by a faulty battery.

ShinyCloud

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Hello. I have an ASUS ROG G751JY which is only 1 year old. 4 months ago I started having an issue. This issue caused my laptop to shut down every time I would play a game after 10-20 min. This was not a normal shut down but instead it was like someone cut the power.

I think this happened because I would play games without my power cord plugged in and only relying on battery for like 8-9 months. About 1-2 months ago my laptop started to shut down ( the same way as previously mentioned, like someone cutting the power ) at about 15% of the battery power level and not charge more than 84%-89%.

When reaching 84%-89% it doesn't say 'Plugged in, not charging" so I know that it's not a safety measure to avoid overcharging but instead it says "Plugged in, charging" and also when reaching that level the charger cools down which means that the laptop isn't taking power from it.

Since yesterday (31/07/2016 - dd/mm/yyyy ) my laptop is not shutting down at 15% anymore but instead it either does not shut down or it shuts down at 9%. Is this caused by a burned cell in my battery? Should I send my laptop for RMA in order to replace it and if so, how can I avoid this problem in the future? Plus, if I replace the battery and get a new one, for how many hours do I have to charge it the first time?

Thank you for your time. ( Please note that the battery is built in the rig and cannot be removed from this laptop unless done by an ASUS-authorized person, otherwise the warranty is voided ).

[Moderator's edit: wall of text formatted with spaced paragraphs for easier reading]

Solution
Gaming on laptops is tricky business. Judging from the description, it definitely looks like a battery related problem. However, does the laptop get hot while you play games? If so then it may be that it prematurely shuts down due to overheating. If not then this is likely an issue with the battery itself.

In that case, you should be prepared to have it replaced or having the battery changed. To avoid this problem, simply make sure that you do not play for extended periods of time, and tinker with the power options to make sure not much load is put on the battery.

When the laptop starts to heat up, close it for some time. The best time to plug it into charging is around 40% battery. And the best time to plug it out is around 80-85%...

nexusrev

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
Gaming on laptops is tricky business. Judging from the description, it definitely looks like a battery related problem. However, does the laptop get hot while you play games? If so then it may be that it prematurely shuts down due to overheating. If not then this is likely an issue with the battery itself.

In that case, you should be prepared to have it replaced or having the battery changed. To avoid this problem, simply make sure that you do not play for extended periods of time, and tinker with the power options to make sure not much load is put on the battery.

When the laptop starts to heat up, close it for some time. The best time to plug it into charging is around 40% battery. And the best time to plug it out is around 80-85%. This is just a precaution to take since sometimes, the battery statistics tend to be inaccurate. I've been using my own gaming laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad Y580) this way for over 3 years, and it still works like a charm.

Solution

ShinyCloud

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
I should have never played games depending only on my battery but unfortunately I did. My laptop temps while playing games are around 60-75 C at winter and now at summer they are 70-85 C . I've asked a lot of people and they all said that for the model I have these temps are they lower it can get. I wish I could get a desktop PC for obvious reasons but unfortunately the only place where I can play games is my room and it's small af. Well, thanks for replying. I'll send it for RMA once I come back from my hometown. Also, I don't play for more than 2 hours continuously. I play for 2 hours and then watch random vids on Youtube for like an hour until my battery falls to 20% and my laptop returns to its normal temps. Rarely, if I'm really hooked into a game I'll play for 3 hours but not for more no matter what. Thanks for replying. Good thing my warranty is still here :)

ShinyCloud

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
What's making me scratch my head though is this website https://www.asus.com/us/support/Article/604/ ( click on "Batery Life and Cycle" ) It says that after one year the battery should deliver around 80% of it's original capacity which is what's hapenning to me right now. However, that shutting down problem still exists. Maybe it needs to be recalibrated or something or because it's summer and it's hotter than usual? I also left it to charge for 2 hours 2 days ago and it wouldn't go above 84% no matter what. I don't know. I'm really confused and hoping that it's due to the hot weather lol. Here's my battery report --------> file:///C:/battery_report.html if this doesn't work as a link then copy+paste it on Google. If it still doesn't work please let me know and I'll see what I can do.