Need help with 1st year wedding anniversary! fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retrowire

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Hello everyone! Just a little prologue here, last year I was happily married to my wife on September 23rd. I love her and it's amazing!! However, as an anniversary gift (it's a secret! I tell you nothing! :D ) I require the use of my old Canon Compact Photo Printer CP-220. I need to print out a wedding photo!

Trouble is, I run Windows 7 and this printer is ancient tech by now. Still, it's the only one I've got and it works great when printing directly from my camera, but here's the issue...

The photos I need to print were taken by a professional photographer and his camera's photos do not show up on my camera. I don't know why, but because of this, I cannot view the photos on my camera and print them directly to the printer like I can with all of my photos.

So I'm left with the option to connect this photo printer directly to my PC and print the photos that way. Trouble is, there are no drivers available for Windows 7 regarding this device. I hooked the printer up to my computer, it couldn't install it by itself so I tried installing the old Windows XP driver for it (the only one that exists really) because i figured Windows 7 is pretty backwards compatible with most XP things. Well, the driver created it's folders and whatnot but the computer still can't recognize the printer as a printer.

I guess another way to rephrase this question to the camera folks at Tom's Hardware is this...

I can print photos on the printer directly from my camera just fine. Trouble is, when I add the pro photographers photos to my SD card on my camera, and plug it in to the printer, I get this error, a big yellow question mark with the words "Incompatible JPEG" underneath it. Is there anyway to make these photos viewable on this camera without degrading the quality of the photos?

Please help! I've got only 1 day before this has to be done. Thanks in advance and I will select a best answer!

UPDATE: I only selected keigo_kanzaki's answer as the best one because they were the only one who assisted me and I did promise I'd vote a best answer. However, the solution is my last post in this thread.

Solution
Maybe it's a matter of different file type? Usually professional photographer uses DSLR, thus saving pictures as .RAW files, not .JPEG

As for the printer, you can try using XP Mode on Windows 7 and then install the driver in the XP environment.

keigo_kanzaki

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Maybe it's a matter of different file type? Usually professional photographer uses DSLR, thus saving pictures as .RAW files, not .JPEG

As for the printer, you can try using XP Mode on Windows 7 and then install the driver in the XP environment.

Solution

Retrowire

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

Regarding the file types, they are indeed .JPEG. When transferring them to my PC, they are that format.

Regarding the XP mode, how do I go about doing that? Isn't XP mode something that only Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate OS's can do? I have Home Premium.

Retrowire

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Right clicked the file, went to properties, then selected the compatibility tab. It looks to me that my computer already runs the driver installation file in Windows XP Service Pack 2 mode. I cannot change it as I can change others. I don't think XP mode is my solution here.

Retrowire

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Alright! I found the solution. It really comes down to the cameras aspect ratio/dimensional capabilities. The professional photographer used a Rebel EOS camera, my camera is a Canon ELPH SD1400 IS. While my camera can pull off 14.1 megapixels of quality, it could not properly interpret the aspect ratio/dimensions of his camera's photos. Solution?

Just edit the photos to be decreased to the dimensions your camera is compatible with. To do this, just right click one of your camera's photos on the computer and select properties, here click details and look down the list at Dimensions. These 2 numbers are usually the max dimensional output of your camera (providing you aren't messing with your cameras settings and decreasing anything) Now that you've got these 2 numbers, take out your favorite image program and edit the higher quality photos to be shrunk to the dimensions that your camera is familiar with. They don't have to be the EXACT same dimensions, they just have to be equal or smaller than.

I used Microsoft Paint because it's all I have on me at the moment since my computer is currently in spare hard drive mode, but any good photo editor will do the job. Next, put the edited photos back on your cameras SD card, but number them so that they are the latest photos in your cameras memory. Example: IMG_1200 was the last photo on your camera so just name the edited photos IMG_1201 and so on.

Set your Canon camera in preview mode and you should see the photo no problem.

jerry_78

Estimable
May 27, 2014
I had faced this problem and was searching for it. This printer is nearly obsolete and nearly no help is available. However I have an idea how I can make it functional with Win 8.

libudongr

Estimable
Jul 11, 2015
This printer is nearly obsolete and nearly no help is available. However I have an idea how I can make it functional with Win 8.
M3Kg06

Status
Not open for further replies.