Need help with bookshelf speakers connected to computer.

michaeldc

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Hello everyone

I'm fairly new to all of this so I could use some help.
I want to hook up some bookshelf speakers to my computer.
So far I know that I would need an amplifier.

I don't have the greatest budget for this but i'm thinking of buying.
This, Onkyo TX8020
and use these speakers, Klipsch R-15M

So i'm thinking of connecting the amplifier with a optical digital audio cable from my computer and then connect the speakers to my amplifier.

I don't have a soundcard on my computer but I do have an optical out on my motherboard.
All I want is that I can listen to music and watch a movie on my computer with decent sound.

Would this work I really have no idea but I would like some good audio instead of using headphones also in the near future I would like to add a subwoofer.

If you need some more information just ask and i'll reply as soon as possible.

Is this all possible? I hope someone can help me out here.

Kind regards

Michaël.

Solution
You plan is sound and for the money the Onkyo will be a decent start. I would suggest you listen to speakers before choosing them. The Klipsch might be the best choice but until you compare them to other speakers you don't know. It's like flavors of ice cream; if you like vanilla the best strawberry is not going to be your best choice. Another suggestion is consider used loudspeakers. Most high end audio shops will have used high quality trade ins. That means better sound at the same cost. Speaker technology doesn't change that fast so a great $300 pair of 5 year old speakers might better than any new pair for $600.

c4s2k3

Estimable
Sep 17, 2015
I don't know all the details of that particular receiver but looking at a picture of the back panel from the link you provided, it does not look like it has digital (optical) inputs. Since you are on a budget, consider instead buying a stereo 3.5mm to RCA cable like this one http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Plated-3-5mm-Stereo/dp/B00ESM3EIQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1463090021&sr=1-5&keywords=3.5mm+to+rca

You should be able to hook up from your computer's headphone or "main" analog jack on the motherboard to the back of the receiver. You can use any input in the back of the receiver except ""phono". It won't be full digital but I doubt you would hear a difference unless there was a defect in the cable.

Just make sure you have analog audio jack from your motherboard. I assume you do because if you have optical, you generally have analog outputs to support surround sound as well (front/main jack, rear jack, center/sub jack)

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

DeauteratedDog

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
That's exactly what i'm doing, except with a Panasonic AVR and speakers in a 5.1 configuration. Sounds great, much better than almost all 'computer speakers'.

However, i don't think that Onkyo receiver has optical input.

michaeldc

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Well apparantly the model I linked is the American model, i'm buying the European model and this one does have Optical input I didn't know this untill a few minutes ago. Onkyo European Model.

Is there a big difference between the analog jack and the optical input?

c4s2k3

Estimable
Sep 17, 2015
I doubt you can hear a difference but if you can do optical, by all means, go with that. Make sure the receiver supports whatever digital scheme your motherboard uses (Dolby or DTS or both) but you should not have any problems. Happy listening!

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

Using the audio jack means the codec on the motherboard is decoding digital audio and sending this to the amp as analog audio.
Using the optical input means the amp decodes the digital audio, which may use a better codec than the motherboard.
If your doing this for a PC connected to a TV then bookshelf speakers are fine, but the design means they are not designed for near field listening (e.g. sitting at your computer monitor).

You plan is sound and for the money the Onkyo will be a decent start. I would suggest you listen to speakers before choosing them. The Klipsch might be the best choice but until you compare them to other speakers you don't know. It's like flavors of ice cream; if you like vanilla the best strawberry is not going to be your best choice. Another suggestion is consider used loudspeakers. Most high end audio shops will have used high quality trade ins. That means better sound at the same cost. Speaker technology doesn't change that fast so a great $300 pair of 5 year old speakers might better than any new pair for $600.

Solution