Need Help With Very Stealthy Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrellacoustic

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
So I just recently got infected with a weird virus. There are no obvious effects, unless you try to go to ANY anti-virus site, or run a malware scanner, anti-virus, etc. Any time I try to access one of these sites, I get the "The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred." message. So, by using another computer and safe mode, I was able to download and scan with all of the most commonly used tools. A couple of them found some things, then removed them, but the problem persists. Even worse, now EVERYTHING I scan with gives me "No threats detected". Yet I am still getting re-directed anytime I try to go to one of these sites.

I have used so far :
Malware Bytes, RKill, JRT, SAS, Avira, Avast (after uninstalling the first AV), ESET Online Scanner, WSE, Hitman Pro, Hijack This!, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, and Rootkit Remover.

The problem still persists. Most of these programs found something their first time through, but now they all come out squeaky clean.

Could the virus be gone, but a setting somewhere is causing this issue? How could a setting prevent only certain websites though?

darrellacoustic

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

Yes, that as well. Even uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome. I'm completely stumped. I've seen people that had this problem in other threads, unfortunately the threads end before anyone finds a solution.

darrellacoustic

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Well, I am floored that that worked. For anyone that may have the same problem in the future, a simple system restore did the track. After running all those other programs and removing the virus. I guess I just didn't try it because I have almost never had success with system restore. Anytime I've ever used it, the problem came right with it. I am pleasantly surprised.

darrellacoustic

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

Well, I am floored that that worked. For anyone that may have the same problem in the future, a simple system restore did the track. After running all those other programs and removing the virus. I guess I just didn't try it because I have almost never had success with system restore. Anytime I've ever used it, the problem came right with it. I am pleasantly surprised.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Thats the whole point of the Restore Point thing. To be able to go back in time before TheBadThing happened.
Of course, you lose anything you've done since, but as a last resort, that is preferable to a hosed up system.

Status
Not open for further replies.