Need info on gaming laptops

gmoon1586

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
I need help figuring out which gaming laptop I should buy I know a little bit about them but not enough to make a definitive decision. At first I was thinking I should get the razor blade stealth QHD or maybe an Alienware 15 but as I do more research on laptops I'm finding I don't know which one would be best, I own a Xbox one S and PS4 Pro and I'm looking for something with about the same graphic capabilities as those and if anyone could give me some tips or information that would be great, thank you.

Solution
The typical gaming laptop has a GPU that is easily more powerful than what is used in the consoles. I believe the PS4 has a GPU that is similar to a Radeon HD 7850 that was released back in 2012; the GPU in the Xbox One is weaker. However, games designed for consoles are more streamlined than for PC because the hardware on all PS4 (or Xbox One) is the same for each machine. On the other hand, PCs have hundreds of thousands of different configuration with components manufactured by hundreds or thousands of different make and models each with specific drivers. Therefore, program codes for PC games are not as streamline as for consoles. On top of that Intel CPUs far exceeds the performance of AMD Jaguar cores used in the consoles.

The...
The typical gaming laptop has a GPU that is easily more powerful than what is used in the consoles. I believe the PS4 has a GPU that is similar to a Radeon HD 7850 that was released back in 2012; the GPU in the Xbox One is weaker. However, games designed for consoles are more streamlined than for PC because the hardware on all PS4 (or Xbox One) is the same for each machine. On the other hand, PCs have hundreds of thousands of different configuration with components manufactured by hundreds or thousands of different make and models each with specific drivers. Therefore, program codes for PC games are not as streamline as for consoles. On top of that Intel CPUs far exceeds the performance of AMD Jaguar cores used in the consoles.

The Razer Blade Stealth is a nice ultrabook, but it only relies on the Intel HD 620 graphics core so you will need to buy the Razer Core and a dedicated desktop GPU if you plan on doing any serious gaming.

General tips?

- Get a laptop with an Intel quad core CPU like the i5-7300HQ or i7-7700HQ *
- At least a GTX 1060, but if you want to play games at QHD resolution, then a GTX 1080 is highly recommended.
- A laptop with an IPS screen
- At least 8GB of RAM
- SSD for fast boot time and loading games.

All that depends on your budget. A laptop with a GTX 1080 generally cost at least $2,400 from what I recall.

* The basic difference between a quad Core i5 & i7 CPU is that the i7 has Hyper Threading (HT) which allows the CPU to process two threads of instructions instead of 1 thread. The vast majority of games are not designed to make use of HT.

Solution
I would add that an ips is good for games that don't require fast response times like mmorpgs. If you are a hard core fps gamer then a tn panel is better as it will be a lot faster but it will have a worse colour coverage and viewing angles.

Also look for g sync if you don't care about about battery life as this forces the discrete gpu to be active all the time.