Question Need iPhone - Current Android No Longer Supported by AT&T

jclarkw

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
Need advice: Want unlocked smartphone with 4G (that is, not about to be switched off by AT&T) but otherwise comparable in size, or smaller than, my current Moto G6.
Key requirements (or is this wish list unreasonable?):
  1. fit comfortably in shirt pocket -- not one of these oversize phones
  2. either accept additional flash-memory chip or has lots of onboard memory
  3. easy to swap over existing AT&T pre-paid SIM card from Moto G6 (I assume this is standard in any unlocked phone, correct?)
  4. preferably on the DJI Fly approved list below
  5. not dreadfully expensive, I guess meaning not the current model
Having so far been unable to find a satisfactory Android phone, I'm reluctantly considering an iPhone. Any help appreciated. -- jclarkw

"Requires iOS 11.0 or above.
iPhone 13 Pro Max、iPhone 13 Pro、iPhone 13、iPhone 13 mini、iPhone 12 Pro Max、iPhone 12 Pro、iPhone 12、iPhone 12 mini、iPhone 11 Pro Max、iPhone 11 Pro、iPhone 11、iPhone XS Max、iPhone XS、iPhone XR、iPhone X、iPhone 8 Plus、iPhone 8"

Feb 2, 2022
Need advice: Want unlocked smartphone with 4G (that is, not about to be switched off by AT&T) but otherwise comparable in size, or smaller than, my current Moto G6.
Key requirements (or is this wish list unreasonable?):
  1. fit comfortably in shirt pocket -- not one of these oversize phones
  2. either accept additional flash-memory chip or has lots of onboard memory
  3. easy to swap over existing AT&T pre-paid SIM card from Moto G6 (I assume this is standard in any unlocked phone, correct?)
  4. preferably on the DJI Fly approved list below
  5. not dreadfully expensive, I guess meaning not the current model
Having so far been unable to find a satisfactory Android phone, I'm reluctantly considering an iPhone. Any help appreciated. -- jclarkw

"Requires iOS 11.0 or above.
iPhone 13 Pro Max、iPhone 13 Pro、iPhone 13、iPhone 13 mini、iPhone 12 Pro Max、iPhone 12 Pro、iPhone 12、iPhone 12 mini、iPhone 11 Pro Max、iPhone 11 Pro、iPhone 11、iPhone XS Max、iPhone XS、iPhone XR、iPhone X、iPhone 8 Plus、iPhone 8"
Have you checked with AT&T lately? I was notified a while back that my (unlocked) Moto g6 would no longer work after the 3G network was shut down. I knew these phones were capable of 4G voice and worked on Verizon, but AT&T had only provisioned the g6 Play and Forge (which they used to sell). When I heard that more phones were being approved, I checked the latest whitelist of unlocked devices that would work on 4G, and my phone was still not on there.

Since I hadn't decided what I was going to do yet, I went to an AT&T store to pick up a free replacement phone that was being offered just to buy myself some more time, but low and behold, they told me my phone was 4G and I would not have a problem. They also said that not all approved phones were on the list, and I probably had an automatic software update at some point that enabled HD Voice. (I do not have Wi-Fi calling though because that is only on AT&T branded phones.)

I don't know if this applies to all models of the Moto g6, but if you take the phone to a store, or call 611 and give them the model no. they can tell you. Something you can check yourself in settings is the IMS Registration Status. Mine used to say Unregistered but now shows that it is Registered, which indicates that HD Voice is active. Also, if you turn off Wi-Fi and make a call, check to see if the LTE signal stays on. Mine used to change to an H, indicating the call was going over a 3G network, but now it stays on LTE. Of course you would need to confirm this with AT&T. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: jclarkw

jclarkw

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
...I don't know if this applies to all models of the Moto g6, but if you take the phone to a store, or call 611 and give them the model no. they can tell you...
Thanks Much -- 611 (and the phone's ???? number) got me the answer: It's not going to be disconnected! -- jclarkw

Reactions: jas14