Question Need Laptop for Coding School/ app dev/ long-term

Oct 9, 2022
Hello! I recently got a scholarship to attend coding school and am very excited to start. I am doing the best I can to set myself for success and professional development.
I am looking to get all my ducks in line and want to set myself with a nice piece of hardware that will aid in my journey.

1. What is your budget?
~$1100usd, something that can be reasonably financed at around ~$100 usd/month
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
~15in-16in

3. What screen resolution do you want?
minimum 1080p, 16:10 would be nice but not necessary.
I am not the most informed on modern displays but I will be staring at the screen for long periods of time to be developing apps and programs. So anything that is not a total eyesore to look at.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable/but using at desk frequently
will be transported via bicycle frequently

5. How much battery life do you need?
min 7hrs

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Light gaming...fortnight high 60fps ideally maybe modern games like cyberpunk on med-high. But not the hugest priority as I will be in school.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Primarily will be used for remote coding school, will generally have multiple tasks and tabs open on chrome, running discord, Visual Code, testing .
I prefer to have the CPU crush this tasks and the RAM to not break a sweat. Will be typing ALOT so a backlit keyboard with nice ergo keys would be a plus.

Webcam needed for video calls

I am interested in learning Blender and other 3d modeling but this is secondary to my primary needs. but would like to have the option there.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

~500gb ssd min.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
www.bestbuy.com or Newegg.com open to other websites that offer financing with around $100/month
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
around 3+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No optical Drive needed

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Prefers: Asus/Lenovo
Reasons: Likes case design, not clunky, sleek, trusted hardware assemblers.

Does not Prefer: Dell/Hp/Google/ Mac
Reasons: Bad customer service at least with HP/Loaded with Bloatware. Mac , because I have been using PC my whole life.

I am open to all brands as and will trade bloatware from a common company if that means my hardware needs are met.
Kind of intrigued to switch to mac if that means my needs getting met.
I do like the casing metal designs on some dell/hp laptops and Mac

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Long Battery life is preferred. Durable casing is preferred. I prefer Higher CPU performance over Graphical. A CPU that will not age to poorly over the coming years.

Thank you all for your time for looking at my post! Don't be afraid to ask me questions. I appreciate all the help I can get!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not going to get 7 hours of battery life with a standard laptop, especially not for use with a program like Blender or any type of gaming. You would need a light power Chromebook or tablet running Android or an iPad to get near that.

Over the years I found that the Lenovo ThinkPad T models are the best combination or sturdy and performance out there. Go check what you can find from them that fits your budget. If you want to compromise a bit to have a system decent for gaming also, the lower end gaming laptops from MSI are pretty good, I use one for travel for work as a gaming system on the go and it's held up to many flights.