Need Laptop Suggestions

bigskill

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
So presently I have been playing Elite Dangerous with a HP Probook 4520S,i5 m460processor, 6 gb ram, a dedicated ati mobility HD 5450, and a 15,6" monitor.
Its a 4 years old laptop and have been on a lot..... for work during the day and playing during the night.
I always keep the fan clean , 1 a month, but last week something happened, while playing elite i got some fractals and strange color on my monitor, so i shutted it down and I opened it.
Fan was clean, so i opened up the heat pipe cooling system and I replace the thermal paste that was still the orginal one.
It worked fine until last night so, 3 days, and while I was working with some 3d programs it happened again.
This morning I put some pro thermal paste Arctic MX-4, and I was able to put the klaptop back on, and Im presently writing this.
I already did a back up, but Im scared that my laptop is falling apart, so Im preparing the future step, I already have a cooling pad but the bottom of the laptop is sealed and there are no openings, so doesnt work too much.
The question is whats going on with my laptop? Shall I modify the bottom creating some openings? Shall I try to replace the cooking system? Shall I look for a new laptop?
My actual budget will be around 500$ not more, but I will prefere not to spend to much money, only if is necessary....
Do you guys have some suggestions?
Regarding the new laptop damilies, there are so many so different , and apparently is difficult to find a new laptop with a dedicated VGA without spending a lot of money....
Ideally on a new laptop I will look for a 15,6" monitor, 6/8 Gb ram, dedicated video card that allow me to play games with lo/medium details, but I dont know if the new integrated VGA are worth it ....As a processor I like Intel but Im open to consider AMD as well.....That is probably cheaper.

Thx in advance

It depends on how adventurous you want to be. If you are comfortable tweaking laptops, then try that as creating holes will not cost you anything. If you would rather not do that then try and find a laptop with a gt 740m and i5 and 8 gigs of ram. If you could let me know what kind of games you play apart from elite dangerous then it would be good.

bigskill

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
I mainly use the laptop for 3d printing and programs like autocad 123auto desk, tinkercad.
Other games i sometimes play are Arma 3, Heat 2, SWG Galaxies, CSgo, Guild Wars2, fsx.
But I have been playing ED since December.
I Always played with low medium settings with poor fps, and low resolution, expecially Arma3.
Regarding drilling the laptop, i thought about it, but first im not sure where is more convenient to drill, second I dont know if it will fix the problem....
Have you got any suggestions wich computer use the GT740m and i5?
It so difficult to find a laptop with a dedicated vga these days...
Thx

Unfortunately you will not get a laptop that can play ed or arma 3 well. As for 3d, the gt 740m is an entry level so you will have to keep the models at a low poly or otherwise it will lag. I personally would get a desktop for this price as it will perform better and will be able to last a lot longer than its laptop counterpart.

bigskill

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
I know but i nee to move the laptop with me many time so.... i cant move a desktop computer easyly.
What about this model here?
Acer Aspire V 15 V3-572G-51DR 15.6-Inch HD Laptop (Platinum Silver)
Intel Core i5-5200U Processor (2.2 GHz)
8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
500 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen, NVIDIA GeForce 840M
Windows 8.1, 7-hour battery life

That is a good laptop for 3d modelling. Its ok for gaming as long as you play at low to med settings for the new games. But the cpu will be your bottleneck in this game. I think it should be able to play arma 3 but not sure about ed.

bigskill

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015

Ok i just found a good deal with an ASUS x555 LNXx206h, i5 4210 2.7ghz 15,6" 8 gb ram, 1tb HD and a Nvidia GT840m 2 gb dedicated for 740 USD, I had to increase a little the price.
Thx everyone for the help anyway.