Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep your old T420 and wait till it spoils

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

metastate

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Hi,
I am a computer science student and contemplating about if i should upgrade my T420 to a T430.
I do Java and server side programming, and also other business modules that requires heavy use of excel. I do not play computer games.

I current own a low end T420 running on i5-2520M/4GB RAM and it has 6 months of warranty left. Recently my school has a vendor that sells T430 (i7-3520M/8gbRam) ata price much lower than retail. It's so low that if i were to sell my current T420 to upgrade to T430, I will only have to top up $1000 more. The new thinkpad comes with 4 years warranty.
Personally, I love my current T420 for its keyboard and high res display, both of which will not be on the new T430.

What are you guys' view on this? Would you upgrade if you were me? My concerns about my current thinkpad is the battery life and warranty. The processor may be one issue, but so far I havent face anything I can't do with the old i5.

Or is there any other laptops you would want to recommend? I am opened to any, even Mac. I was a user of mac before thinkpad, and as much as I'd love to go back, but i'd have to run windows 90% of the time. Other than buying t430, another option would be to replace my t420 when it spoils then I would scout for a new one.

For me the lower resolution will be an issue. I tend to multitask and have lot of windows/programs open at the same time. I find that my Lenovo Y470 with a resolution of only 1366x768 hinders me. It's good for playing games, but I prefer a laptop with higher resolution so my next laptop will have either a 1600x900 or 1920x1080 resolution screen. Games would be a lower priority since that's what my desktop is for.

Don't both T420 and T430 have HD displays?

The OP stated his T420 has higher resolution compared to the newer T430. I assume his current laptop has a 1600x900 resolution screen and the T430 has 1366x768. 14" ThinkPad laptops do not have 1080p screens.

metastate

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013

Hi,

Yes. My thinkpad is currently running on a 1600 x 900 resolution and I loved it. I got that upgrade while buying my laptop last time, but now I no longer have the option to upgrade. I am not sure if i can find a screen upgrade elsewhere since the store no longer offers an option.

Thanks for the reply guys. Will you guys think a thinkpad t420 can last me for another 2-3 years while handling my programming demands? (It is currently two years old)

The keyboards should be just about the same on both models, I've used (and am using a T420 at home and one at work) just about every ThinkPad model out there and really can't tell any difference between them, all the way back to the older T40 series.

If you can spend and extra $100 (you said $1,000 but I'm guessing there is an extra 0 there) it's worth the upgrade just for the extra warranty. If you are OK with the screen differences. Even for another $200 or 300 I'd think about an upgrade. A warranty with a laptop is a huge bonus if the screen or battery or motherboard go.

With a new laptop you are getting a new battery and the warranty, an OEM battery for a ThinkPad is about $100 and the warranty if used can be worth a lot more if you need to replace a screen or motherboard.

metastate

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013

Well apparently it's a $1000 topup, I can probably sell my used T420 at $700 and get a new T430 max specs at $1700, that's why its a thousand dollars top up. Thinkpads are expensive in my country.

Anyone know if T430 and T420 uses the same monitor screen? I was thinking if its possible to change to my T420 display if i were to upgrade to a T430.

If it's $1,000 cost to you, probably not worth it, or at least not to me, especially if you like your screen.

The only reason to buy it now would be if you were worried about resale value in a few more years to upgrade. You'd get more for your T420 now than you would if you keep it another 2-3 years.

For me, spending 1,000 to swap would be a no, but it's not my money and the future value and use may be something you would want to think about. ThinkPads are tough and reliable, the T420 could be running for many years for you, aside from probably a battery replacement.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I don't think it would be worth it at all for $1,000.00. Keep in mind the T440 should be released any day now and that (or the T440s) is what I would be looking to upgrade into if I was you for that kind of money.