Solved! Need recommendation: What's a good laptop to get for $750?

madrerik

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Hello all. I am currently looking for a laptop to replace the one I had. I need a laptop that can handle design programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro while still being able to multitask with other programs as well. This laptop won't be for gaming, just for design work. I am living in France and having trouble finding things in the stores here, but can buy something to my home in the U.S. and ship it here.

This will probably be the one chance for the next 5 years or so to get a good replacement so I am trying to choose wisely the laptop upgrade that can last.

Something I'd definitely like to have, if possible:

SSD, 8gb ram minimum, good resolution display.

Please advice me which laptop is good for what I need.

Solution
That covers a lot of models really. In the US literally hundreds.

A late model 7th or 8th generation Intel CPU, SSD, and 8GB of memory is most ultrabooks on the market with an SSD.

Good resolution is dependent on size and what you are used to. 1920x1080 @ 15.6" is a 'good' resolution, 14", but there are certainly offerings out there with more.

I suppose it comes down to what you want to prioritize.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/sc/laptops?appliedRefinements=6083,6084,6092,6106

Dell alone has many models that meet your specifications. That will be true of all the OEMs and boutique builders.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
That covers a lot of models really. In the US literally hundreds.

A late model 7th or 8th generation Intel CPU, SSD, and 8GB of memory is most ultrabooks on the market with an SSD.

Good resolution is dependent on size and what you are used to. 1920x1080 @ 15.6" is a 'good' resolution, 14", but there are certainly offerings out there with more.

I suppose it comes down to what you want to prioritize.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/sc/laptops?appliedRefinements=6083,6084,6092,6106

Dell alone has many models that meet your specifications. That will be true of all the OEMs and boutique builders.

Solution

madrerik

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Hi! Thanks for your advice. I'd like to prioritize performance. I'll look at your suggestions, thanks again!

P.S. Any specific brand you'd recommend? Current laptop is an Asus, but from 2011.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Not particularly. My daily driver is a Dell, I personally own a Lenovo.

Only so high you can go in terms of CPU for your budget. Anything with an i5 or i7 should certainly suffice. Any with NVMe storage should meet that requirement, then it is just down to screen size/resolution, appearance, weight, battery life.

8th gen i5u are very comparable to 7th gen i7u, and the i7s gain two cores on the higher end.