Need specalist help with archiving and compressing files

Status
Not open for further replies.

snuus

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
I have a 1TB collection of stuff (mainly .avi's and some pdf's) I would like to compress down into as small amount as possible for blu ray backup, heres my problem

I've already compressed the 1tb down (removing 100gb) with 7Zip using LZMA2 with the maximum amount of other selections the program gives you for compression apart from the file being non-solid. After reading about compressing I thought I could open the .002 and .003 7-zip parts individually but from trying it seems I have to open the first file .001 otherwise none of the others will open.

My main issue is that I really need the files to be openable individually without the need for the first file just in case something goes wrong with the first bluray disc, I would be stuck with no way to open my archives if any damage was to come to that specific disc.

So my question is really is there any way to make each archive openable individually or if not with 7zip is there another program that can?

Also is there any way of compressing the files even more ie making .avi's into MKV's? Would this save space even with .avi clips? and if so is there a batch application to convert them that you know of?

Any help on this would be massively appreciated as this is my most important and cherished data

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
compressing .avi video files may not be give much space..
you may try to reduce the .avi by re encoding..
AVIRecomp is best choice for reducing avi files

http://www.avirecomp.com/news.php

avi to mkv may not be a good choice for reducing size.

for compressing KGB Archiver may reduce space , but it will take very long time

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kgbarchiver/

snuus

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Thanks for that reply manojgj I'm checking them out right now, don't suppose you know roughly how much better KGB would be in comparison to 7zip by any chance? Don't sweat it if you havent a clue, just hoping to save a bit of time testing thats all.

Is there any program that your familiar with to be able to compress, split and be able to open individual archives at all? Either there doesn't seem to be one or I'm not setting up 7zip correctly when compressing. Or maybe a program that can open 7zip split archives individually? I tried IZarc but it didnt seem to work as I though it might :(

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
i used Avirecomp frequently to reduce size and adding subtitles. its freeware and its great for me..
regarding kgb archiver, i used few times , but as i mentioned its takes too much time & it's not easy for me to test the full features of it by compressinga file for many hours due to frequent power cuts.(i dont have ups)..
but few years back i downloaded ms office in a file which is less than 20 mb or less . after extracting for few hours it worked fine ..

http://www.maherhackers.com/kgb-archiver-compress-1gb-file-10mb-easily/

Google it for good reviews...
if your really looking for something than you must have the patience to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.