Need step by step help replacing hard drive for Windows 8 laptop with Windows 7 hard drive.

Dandylion

Estimable
Dec 13, 2014
I'm not too smart with computing tech, but I've got 2 laptops, 1 is a Windows 7 hp Pavillion m6 which has a cracked screen and cover, and a Windows 8 hp Pavillion g6 which is such an underwhelming laptop. Since I don't want to pay a fortune to fix my much better m6, I was hoping to just transfer the hard drive and RAMS from there to the g6. But when I put in the hard drive and enabled something (forgot what it was) in the BIOS settings to boot from my drive, it went from loading to flashing a blue screen and crashed with a beeping sound.

To my understanding this problem stems from the different operating systems and no matching drivers, and I really don't want to format my windows 7 hard drive, so was wondering if someone here could provide me with detailed instructions on how to go abouts making this work.

You help is much much appreciated.

Thank you

Solution
In theory lol. But laptop mobos have no standard form factor. So i doubt either mobo will fit in another case.

Id just drop $60-90 on win 7 and do a fresh install on your win 8 machine

Vudue Priest

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
In theory lol. But laptop mobos have no standard form factor. So i doubt either mobo will fit in another case.

Id just drop $60-90 on win 7 and do a fresh install on your win 8 machine

Solution

Dandylion

Estimable
Dec 13, 2014
Thank you.
Ill play it safe and try installing Windows 7 on the g6.
Problem with the m6 is that the plastic covering is cracked as well and one hinge is broken as well, so not just a matter of replacing screen.

Cheers