Need suggestions for a laptop for school and light gaming

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012
1. What is your budget? $1500 max

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15-17"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable preferred, but desktop replacement is an ok style, though I do have a pretty powerful desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need? At least 3 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I would like to play games like skyrim, kingdoms of amular, DOTA, Civ V, etc. I'll keep my shooters on my desktop. Medium settings is preferred, but gaming isn't the biggest point of this laptop.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500 GB - 1 TB. Something that isn't too slow.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Newegg, Amazon, whatever works as long as they have a return policy that covers DoA's.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3-4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Is an optical drive really necessary these days?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Asus, HP, Toshiba - Because I've haven't really heard much bad about these. Opinions are accepted.

13. What country do you live in? USA

Looking for a reliable laptop that isn't known to have a short life span. I want to use this for school mainly, to be portable in case I decide to go to the library to study or travel for the weekend, etc. I'd love to be able to game on it, too. Nothing too fancy. I'm not expecting to run ultra or max settings, but I'd like for the gaming to look smooth. Then again, I have a desktop and gaming isn't a priority with this laptop.

NGXII

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I recently was in the market for a new Laptop as well, and found an amazing deal on this particular Lenovo laptop:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

Those laptops are well within your price range, and are very well priced compared to their $1200 Dell equivalents. With them, you get an independent graphics card for a lot more gaming performance. Lenovo also has really good deals on laptop bags, and these laptops are surprisingly light.

These laptops are excellent for school, while at the same time being reliable, portable, and letting you run high settings well within your price range. I'd recommend the $899.00 Model.

NGXII

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I personally have the single 755M Laptop, and it stays pretty cool. It does heat up under gaming stress, but the bottom is pretty much covered in vents, as long as it isn't on the carpet it will work fine.