Need to get files off dead laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9girl

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
My one year old Toshiba laptop died - I thought it was a bad power cord, but apparently it's something internal. I wasn't able to get all my old files off before the battery went out too. How can I recover files from it? Can I connect it to my new laptop? The old one won't power up at all. Appreciate any suggestions.

Solution
Buy a SATA to USB adapter. Remove the hard drive from the old laptop (probably requires unscrewing the bottom) and plug into the SATA/USB adapter. Copy files. If the hard drive is still fine you also just got a nice new external hard drive. Hope this helps!
Mar 30, 2015
Buy a SATA to USB adapter. Remove the hard drive from the old laptop (probably requires unscrewing the bottom) and plug into the SATA/USB adapter. Copy files. If the hard drive is still fine you also just got a nice new external hard drive. Hope this helps!

Solution

K9girl

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
You guys ROCK!! Have to admit I'm not terribly tech savvy, but I bought an inexpensive SATA cable off Amazon, found a youtube video on how to take the laptop apart (kinda satisfying to destroy it, as many headaches as it gave me), connected the hard drive to my laptop, and there were all my old files!! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.