Net Neutrality Lawsuit Threatens Netflix, YouTube

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Morrison

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
This is not a battle for Net-Neutrality", this is the ISP's move to control its customers and profit from anything they want to and it is called "Censorship". This is absurd to see the courts are even entertaining the idea of allowing this!

If you have an XBox you can already see this playing out. If you want to watch Netflix on your XBox you first have to purchase an XBox Live subscription. I have always said this is the same issue and yet Microsoft seems to be getting away with it.

I can confirm that my ISP (CableOne) is censoring YouTube, I have logs that show when I go to YouTube my speed is throttled back and many times it makes watching videos on YouTube impossible. So in reality the ISP's, regardless of how it is now are controlling what I see and the quality of how I view it.

If the ISP's get away with this, all of us will feel the pain. Personally I would like to see the internet owned by the people and access to it paid for equally by all through a tax or some way other than allowing ISP's to charge for it.

WHERE ARE YOU GOOGLE! WE WANT GOOGLE FIBER EVERYWHERE AND WE WANT IT NOW!!!!!!

Tripperman

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Death of Democracy...it survived right up to the next light-leap in technology...

As long as they let us job hunt, use email and post to blogs without charging us an arm and a leg...

Maybe the Revolution Will Be Televised after all, that way we can watch instead of paying extra to have it streamed.

Which reminds me, when does the Super Bowl go pay-per-view?

Tripperman

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Death of Democracy...it survived right up to the next light-leap in technology...

As long as they let us job hunt, use email and post to blogs without charging us an arm and a leg...

Maybe the Revolution Will Be Televised after all, that way we can watch instead of paying extra to have it streamed.

Which reminds me, when does the Super Bowl go pay-per-view?

djubre7

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I don't like where this argument is going... It's just a facade of a greater problem.

Why do you people believe that democracy exists? What proof do you have, except for the definition itself? You go to vote, and then somebody counts the votes and voila - one wins, the other looses, no hard feelings?

There is no democracy, simple as that, and it can never ever exist by its current definition. Why? Ask yourself what is the economic system you/we live in? Oh, right - capitalism. It means money rules. A big, gigantic monopoly game. It can never be a democratic society as long as crucial and all other decisions are made and conditioned by one crucial resource that's NOT equally available to EVERYONE!

Ask yourself, what do you argue here for? A free/neutral internet? Pfffft.. There is no argument there, and not because all of the recent circus over espionage/control/everythingelse. Why? This is a democracy, and it seems to me there are quite a bit more people who want free-for-all internet than those who want to pay for it served the way they do/don't want it. So by default - you should already have it. Why don't you?

No, you argue here for a freedom on a much much larger scale. And that freedom will never happen as long as the lesser humans stay consciously and willingly blind to everything around them, but their own tv screen.

Why are we all so inert about everything that is happening? You think that this lawsuit is serious? German legislature has voted that access to water is not a human right. So if we bring the air quality down enough, we will soon "willingly" pay for a "service" of clean air so we can survive?

Please, please for our own sake use what you have - your browser, your education, your books, your brain, whatever you have on your disposal and just think. I don't want to pay for air.

Missyg

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Here's a refresher on many of the net neutrality issues--it's a short mockumentary, definitely worth the time: http://www.theinternetmustgo.com/

bassrunnin

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Well, if Verizon's argument is that they should be able to control the internet like a publisher edits the newspaper is way off base. They don't provide content, they provide a utility service. That would be akin to the electric company stating what can and can't use electricity in my house. Talk about a dictatorship!

Status
Not open for further replies.