Netflix Crashing (No BSOD)

vunter

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014
Just recently my PC has been crashing only when watching Netflix. It usually happens after I have been watching it for awhile. Doesn't happen while watching any other streaming sites nor watching other videos. When it crashes my monitor displays either solid gray or some other solid color on both monitors and then the sound stutters for about 5secs and then cuts out; it never displays a BSOD nor will it restart. I have to manually restart the PC.

I've tested memory, tested HDD's, I even ran GPU tests for hours on end with no issues. I'm an avid gamer and can play games for hours on end with no issues either. I thought maybe it was Nvidia driver issues so I uninstalled and ran the clean installation; still happens. I can't get it to crash on demand either while watching Netflix it just gonna randomly does it. I have been monitoring CPU and GPU temps while watching Netflix and temps are what you would expect 30c-40c for both the CPU and GPU.

I'm at a loss since it only does it when on Netflix. Anyone have any ideas?

venchuur

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
no solution, but if its any relief to you my computer is doing the exact same thing, ive had this computer since march 3rd, brand new build i5-6600k. i know its not the heat, as ive been leaving a temp monitor up on my other monitor last crash i had i didnt see any spikes or abnormalities. i played cs:go for 2 hours, and then played 10 matches of wow RBGs on top of that turned into 2 hours of street fighter V with my roommate,the minute i wanted to lay down and finish off daredevil season 2, not even an episode in, it crashed. No BSOD but i get a purple screen on one of my monitors / white screen on the other with a good audio skip thatll scare the shit out of you if youre texting.

-Once again sorry for no solution but im hoping you can rest a little easier knowing that youre not the only one this is happening too.

venchuur

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
Since OP hasn't replied I'll throw in my hardware and such hopefully resolve my issue as well.

Windows 10 64 bit
Msi pro gaming z170a lga 1151
I5 6600k
nvidia 980
Corsair vengeance 2x 8gb 3k MHz
Corsa or 650 psu
Corsair h100i gtx liquid cooling

I honestly do not think its a heating / power supply issue when I built the computer PC part picker said I was like that 520 watts and I've calculated again and my PSU is and adequate size (should've went bigger but budget constraints)

Personally I'm more so inclined to believe that's it's a driver/ software dilemma but this issue is beyond me. I can tell you I did download the MSI gaming app for easy over clocking but I can't remember if I got these crashes before or after the install

If you can provide me some insight on what the problem might be that would be great. And please my my typos I'm not the greatest phone typed

vunter

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014
I have windows 10 and I'm accessing Netflix through the browser. I'll try the app to see if it happens.

I didn't even think of that, that's a good idea.

vunter

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014

Just tried the APP and the same thing happened after about 30mins of playback. weirdist thing

vunter

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014
Well, a new Nvidia driver came out yesterday and after installation, I watched an entire season of a tv show with no issue. There is nothing in the patch notes so all I can think of is whatever was or wasn't in the last driver was causing playback issues.

Hadyn

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
Same issue here, running the win10 app and binge-watching Daredevil... It's happened twice in about ten hours of watching. Also running on a GTX970.

ace7580

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014
hi there im also getting the same issue you guys are on here,my pc i built myself last year and had no issues watching netflix back then,and now since my upgrade to win 10 ,ive encountered this same very issue as well i use my browser to binge watch netflix but i also tried the app,same out come anywhere between 10-24 hours later i get a black screen and i have to manually restart my pc - using an i7 4770k unclocked - gpu 750ti , ram 16gb ...even tried my friends 970ti still did it. im at a loss

MrESkull

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016

I'm having the same problem. Windows 10, i5 3470, GTX960. From what I've gathered so far through about an hour of googling it's an issue with Silverlight, and no amount of fresh installs seems to help.

Gonna bookmark this thread and keep an eye on it in hopes of finding an answer. Good luck everyone.

True_1

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
Unfortunately, this isn't a solution. I am just confirming that I have the same issue, I have tried reinstalling Silverlight but I ran into a rather strange issue, I went in to uninstall the program when I found it wasn't installed in the first place! which is strange seeing as I have been watching netflix prior to now installing Silverlight!..

Could the problem be that netflix has ditched Silverlight in favor of an environment of their own?
and in which case is this new environment screwing up NVIDIA drivers and GPUs?

for that matter I have a NVIDIA GTX 960 and an AMD A4 6300 APU

Hope this helps! and I hope a solution is found soon

smatchimo

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
another person here having the same issue, except for about 2 months now. started after I put in a new Nvidia card and upgraded to windows 10. I have an AMD 965 processor. card I upgraded from was a 660 now have a 960. doesnt matter if its OS or browser. checking event log doesnt give any useful information. ive been through at least 3 nvidia updates and have since stopped using netflix over this issue.

True_1

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016

thanks for the reply I found out that the problem was a recently updated driver, please go to http://www.nvidia.com/download/scan.aspx?lang=en-us and get the latest driver and install.

Noell_85

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
I've the same problem, looks like the problem is silverligth and nvidia card drivers, I downgraded to win 7 but the problem is the same.

AMD 6100 GTX 750 ti

deafgeek

Estimable
Jan 1, 2016
I am crashing with netflix with Nvidia GT730, i have tried 362.00 and 372.75 and 375.90. I am on windows 7 using Chrome, what happens 90% of the time is the screen turns off / blue and sound continues then screen comes back and i see the briefest glimpse of the netflix window being green then it clears up, the other 10% of the time it will cause the whole computer to freeze and sound continues and I can not get any response and have to hold down the power button for 5 seconds.

Then i tried to install Linux alongside windows 7, and the freezing happens there too.

Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
I'm having the same problem starting a few days ago, screen turns black and the computer makes a loud humming noise. HTPC with integrated graphics, ATI Radeon HD 4250. I had a chat session with Netflix, here's what they had to say:

"Thank you for holding, my research team check out the account, we do understand that this happens only on the Netflix player, however my team took a look into it and they mentioned that since the Netflix player needs a lot of resources to stream on the computer, the computer might be compensating, and basically crashing, what my tech team recommends is to reach out a IT expert so they can diagnose it and solve the issue."

After not having any problems in the past, it started crashing while using the Windows 10 Netflix app, Netflix in Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. However, I have been using Netflix in Firefox for a few hours this morning without any problems. This seems strange, Firefox seems to use more resources on my computer than the other browsers (takes longer to load, and isn't very responsive).

I uninstalled Silverlight and opened the Netflix app, expecting it to tell me to download and install Silverlight. Strangely it did not, it played the video for about 5 minutes before crashing. I'm wondering if Firefox works because it's using HTML5.

MadMinstrel

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008
No solution, just confirming the issue. It started occurring for me yesterday when i swapped out my GTX 780 for a 1080Ti.

Windows 10, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080TI (factory OC, ASUS Strix, latest drivers)
I guess it might be relevant that the GPU is only connected to a 4K TV via HDMI 2 instead of the usual Display Port setup, though i doubt it.