Netflix Finally, Finally Arrives on Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yep, what's the point of paying $99 a month or more if you can't actually use your phone without monitoring every byte of data sent and received. What is this, 1994 with pay-by-the-hour dialup?

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]MobilePhonesBLOW[/nom]Yep, what's the point of paying $99 a month or more if you can't actually use your phone without monitoring every byte of data sent and received. What is this, 1994 with pay-by-the-hour dialup?[/citation]

You could always use it on WiFi

You know, I'm pretty much indifferent on "X is launching on Android" anymore, considering my device is never one of the chosen few to be able to actually use the new feature. It took them months just to launch this on those few phones, the only hope for people shut out is waiting for XDA to hack and fix it like always. Google's done nothing to prevent "fragmentation" of their market.

Saxie81

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
sorry didnt post the rest of my comment... So they put the screws to Nvidia, Qualcomm or nothing.. I totally agree with KingGraves

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Considering the Galaxy S and Nexus S are virtually identical phones from a hardware standpoint, that "fragmentation" comment really doesn't make any sense to me.

The hardware is the same, the OS is the same, UI differences between manufacturers affect DRM how? Is it not the Netflix app which controls the content...?

It may have made sense if they required android 2.3 for netflix, but the fact that android 2.2 phones are also on this list makes me think this is just a marketing gimmick.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Google has done nothing but encourage fragmentation of the market. It's the only way to propel the market. The main advantage that Google has right now over Apple is they are not bound by hardware manufacturing. Therefore they can keep pushing the envelope of hardware quicker than Apple can. Ultimately this leads to quicker orphaned hardware but at gaining the advantage in the smartphone arena. Google has hardware manufacturer lining up to get on board with the next generation Android. Google wins through an open system Apple loses again because of their closed system approach. Eventually the hardware will top out and have a similar release curve to the desktop. I hate to say it but I think when Google chooses an Intel platform, thats when it will be game over for Apple. The mark of the beast isn't 666 it's x86.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
So tell me what value PlayOn offers if you have to have your computer connected to your mobile device in order to stream Netflix video to it, I mean why not just watch it on your computer or better yet, stream it to a television. Fail.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Is it possible to make an Android virtual machine? Perhaps there is a way to make a virtual machine through Virtual PC or VMWare player, load Android, and use it to copy content from Netflix during playback to a PC hard drive.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I think that this is good news that I can use Netflix on my Evo, but I rather watch netflix on my tablet than a small screen.

WHEN ARE THEY RELEASING IT ON HONEYCOMB?

so we can shut up all the Steve Handjobs fans of the iPad which the i stands for inferior Pad.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Can we PLEASE make this guy stop using the word "ecosystem?" I'm a biologist, and to borrow an appropriate quote - "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

G

"The catch is that PlayOn requires Android 2.2 "Froyo" and Adobe Flash installed on the device, as playback is based on Flash technology (even though Flash is inexcusably too large and eats up too much internal memory). "

Is the author nuts? What kind of a catch is this? The phones listed were designed (and I believe all were released) with Froyo in mind and Flash already integrated. I've owned at least two of those Android devices, and was able to play Flash sites from day 1- so what's the catch? It's like saying "the catch to using iTunes with an MP3 player is that you have to have an iPod or iPhone".

Flash might be big, but HTML5 is inexcuseably fragmented across browser implementations. This is why Windows and OS X rely on Silverlight for Netflix and not HTML5- Netflix is ensuring quality control by using non-fragmented protocols. They released it on iPhone in HTML5 because they assume the implementation wouldn't get fragmented between Apple devices, while Flash on Android makes sense because it will likely be portable to Win7 and maybe even Blackberry devices when those devices support Flash- there's a reason why Netflix isn't releasing it on other platforms in HTML5- it's because Apple limited themselves to HTML5 as a delivery medium while other devices didn't.

gnice3d

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Netflix's library of streaming titles blows dogs for quarters anyway... Fuck their DRM if it won't play nice with Linux/Tegra2. End of story. PEACE!

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Saxie81[/nom]Google's done nothing to prevent "fragmentation" of their market.[/citation]
Supposedly they are in the process of creating such an API for such. It remains to be seen as I have heard this for a long time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.