Netflix for Nintendo Wii Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Ugh, another Wii fail. I own the Wii. Was exciting for a bit, and I'll probably play it again when the new Zelda comes out, but unless I've got friends over playing Smash Brothers, it's pretty much useless. Might get this Netflix on my bro's XBox instead.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Got an email today that it's arriving in the mail tomorrow. Very stoked. Had to haul the laptop over to the TV previously to do netflix streaming (no, I don't have a HTPC).

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
This would have been awesome like a year ago, but nowadays, most people who would buy a wii also have an HDTV which means a blu-ray player, which means, BD-live which means they are already streaming Netflix though it. Or they may just already have an extra PC hooked up to their HDTV and have been streaming Netflix for years. Newer LED tvs and such have the feature built in. Besides, I've heard the quality through the wii is not very good.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]cletus_slackjawd[/nom]This would have been awesome like a year ago, but nowadays, most people who would buy a wii also have an HDTV which means a blu-ray player, which means, BD-live which means they are already streaming Netflix though it. Or they may just already have an extra PC hooked up to their HDTV and have been streaming Netflix for years. Newer LED tvs and such have the feature built in. Besides, I've heard the quality through the wii is not very good.[/citation]

K so you lost me. They bought a wii and then bought a blu ray player? No one has a damn bluray player. And most bluray that people can afford doesnt stream netflix. Thats like saying "Oh everyone has an HDTV, they must all have a ps3"

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I'm saying that statistically speaking, the consumers that have purchased a Wii and also are subscribers to Netflix (were talking about streaming netflix right?) are more than likely not using a CRT Television for their monitor. Using this demographich that we are talking about, if they are interested in streaming netflix 'watch now' movies into their home entertainment system, they have probably are figured out a way of doing so, ie BD-Live, PC, PS3, what have you. The feature of streaming Netflix through the Wii via a slow wireless G, component cables (not HDMI), and combersome interface is not exactly appealling. I have my Ethernet hooked up through by Blu_ray to stream netflix. Before that it was a PC thru wireless. I'm just saying this feature is not well implemented and too late to be appreciated by most.

G

Wireless G is more than enough to stream netflix though. Is you Internet connection more than 55MB/s? The Wii also has an ethernet adapter...

So this is for:

people who DON'T own PS3s, BD-Live capable player, Roku, Tivo (a lot of people)

people who can't/don't know how/don't want to bother with setting up their PC to play on their TV, HD or no (a lot of people)

people who own a Wii (a lot of people)

That sounds like it will be appreciated by someone.

foscooter

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
This is a good concept, but the Wii is NOT HD! And when I hook up my Wii via the component cables I bought, the picture is actually worse. Even when I set up the Wii to use the "Enhanced TV" output in the set up.

I am a netFlix customer, but I understand that they DON'T stream "New Releases" via online, whether PC, Blu-Ray, or the "box" they push.

One good thing, is that my Wii is wireless to my router, so I could stream. May have to plug in a flash drive to bump the memory, which is what I think they will have us do anyway.

And I think you have to change your plan to "unlimited" which MAY cost more.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I don't like Microsoft's solution simply because you need the $15/mo for the XBox Live (I don't care if it goes down when you buy a whole year at a time), on top of the $9-$15 a month you pay Netflix. As for putting a disk into the PS3 or Wii, if you're too lazy to do that its probably better you keep that bit of embarrasing information to yourself.

As for Netflix and Nintendo, this just makes sense. 50-million Wii's sold compared to 30-million PS3/XBoxs. So if Netflix can open up opportunities in a few million more homes, why not? And for everyone complaining about the lack of High-def, do you a) even own a Wii, and b) own any other hi-def device capable of playing netflix? If you don't even have a Wii, or have something else capable of streaming hi-def Netflix to your TV, then this obviously isn't for you, and you need to get on with your life. Even if you only own a Wii and no other computer or console, standard-def Netflix is better than no netflix, right?

kajohn10

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Not I. I have both a Wii and Netflix, but no HDTV that would benefit from blu-ray (TV is HD, but up to 720 only). I look forward to this service =)

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
At least now I have a use for my Wii and can save on the $4/mo Xbox Live fee. Jee... 3 or 4 years of this might justify my Wii purchase.

PS: Got the Wii so I could play the over-hyped Smash Bros Brawl. It just doesn't compare to the old Killer Instinct days. ULTRAAA COMMMBOOOOOOO!!!

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
ummm, didn't anyone realize that the connections from a Wii to the TV or display are NOT HD. Am I right? what is max resolution outpout from a Wii? 480p right?

G

the 'connections' are component which are capable of hd but the wii is only capable of 480p

G

The Xbox 360 will stream Nexflix with out a subscription 2 ways you can use the my netflix media center plugin or you can use Playon the plugin is free Playon cost $40 one time it will also allow you to stream Hulu and many other stations. Playon will also stream netflix to the Wii without a disc I have been doing it for quite some time.

G

some comments from me anyways the Wii is 480P only and for the guy who said component video cables made his Wii look worse then i would say your the first i heard say that so i would check your Cables and buy new ones. now We dont know how fast the interface will be but it will be desighed around the Wii so it should be fast, and no we will not need a usb flash drive for anything as nothing video wise i doubt will be stored on the Wii if anything it would be the Movie Box art for faster loading and that would be temporary stored on the Wii built in 512 mb flash. Also as long as you have the 8.99 plan you dont have to pay anything extra to stream to Wii at all Also the Netflix CEO or who ever announced it in January along with Reggi from Nintendo said since around 97% of Netflix Streaming is NOT HD means that HD on the Wii wont matter because the catalog of titled in HD on NFX is Small . from Mike a Wii owner

Status
Not open for further replies.