Netflix Now Supports All Froyo, Gingerbread Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
This is the problem with DRM. It is too much trouble to get it to work, and then the latest hardware comes out, ppl buy it, and discover stuff doesnt work anymore.

G

I just ran netflix on my Samsung Intercept 2.2 froyo and audio and video were never in sync and the audio was moving faster than the video so netflix app will only run on smartphones that have at least 1 ghz anything less and it wont work

rixtertech

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Today NetFlix Queue Manager is crashing on load with "error #2032" and some rather lame-sounding excuses about "this applications API key has been run dry for the day". I smell Fail. I'm liking NetQFree more than ever today for managing my queue at least, and getting notification of stream media that is set to expire. Welcome to the DRMisphere.

G

Great! Now not only does Netflix charge more - they are getting you to use up all your monthly bandwidth withing a day or two. Sooooo glad I cancelled my subscription.

Oh yeah - for those who will argue that you have unlimited data plans - enjoy them while you can.

G

Android is not fully supported as this build does not display closed captions even if available on the Netflix stream

G

I had to hack version 1.3 to run it on my Droid 2 Global. I am rooted running cyanogenmod 7 [cm4d2g]… Do NOT upgrade to 1.4, it breaks the hack. Version 1.3 will give you an update nag, but it still works fine! ;)

Hack for rooted phones: add # to build prop device check

G

Installed fine on Samsung Galaxy Prevail, but when playing a video the sound and video don't sync, I'm sure it will be remedied in future releases

G

MT4G - installed fine, but wouldnt run. Opened and then froze. So not all androids can run it.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
It even runs on an Archos 43 (although not very well), so it can probably run on anything at this point.

They didn't just all of a sudden "fix" the DRM issues though. The companies making the original phones likely bribed them to be first, but at this point with their customers fleeing by the masses, Netflix has to use the one advantage they have left over competition, practically everything that's electronic supporting Netflix.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
And I went through the effort of putting Netflix on my Atrix a while ago... Had to unlock the bootloader, update to 2.3, and install a APK from a questionable link.
But hey, I guess this works too.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]been waiting for this for years, but I just cancelled my netflix yesterday.[/citation]
They were just waiting for you to cancel so they could release this :p

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Never had an issue when Netflix first released on Android. G2 T-mobile, Froyo and recently upgraded to Gingerbread and not a stutter in netflix. Of course I only use it in WiFi areas. Not going to hit Governing point watching movies.

G

They did this to get more subscribers back after raising the price. Blockbusters is getting stars and streaming but they don't support as many devices as netflix does.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I wonder when Toms Hardware is gonna bill those free add posts like "haisaix" post. If they do they'll end up making more money than you think. Anyway those free advertisement posts are just a nuisance & clogs up these article forums,don't they.

Status
Not open for further replies.