Netflix on Xbox: An HD Junky's Perspective

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Imeant to say that the content you watched is NOT available in HD.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Joe Smhmoe123[/nom]Imeant to say that the content you watched is NOT available in HD.[/citation]
Sorry, Joe. I don't understand what you mean. The Office IS available in HD--definitely. Check the Netflix HD streaming list on their site.

G

I have to say that I was generally pleased with the HD broadcasting ability of Netflix video via the Xbox 360. There are a few things that you need to keep in mind when watching an HD movie.

1. Consider the source and how it was filmed. If it wasn't filmed in HD and / or optimized then don't expect it to be fantastic. Most movies (even blu-ray's) are really just upconverted DVD's.

2. The claims on HD bandwidth (I could be wrong) but why does OTA HD programming look = too or better than most blu-rays. You can't tell me that Digital OTA signal is pushing 40Mbs. The way a broadcast is encoded and decoded is more than just pure bandwidth.

3. Wireless - normally this should not be an issue... but because of the tremendous potential for interference if you have your Xbox connected via WI-FI you are creating the possibility of subpar performance.

4. Check your connection. Hopefully you have it hooked up HDMI or Component... if you don't. You're not watching HD.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
i play 1080p movies thorugh my 360 using it as a media service... so I don't really know what the problem is. Netflix will help the movie industry, microsoft and consumers... I don't even have TV anymore because the internet supplies me with what I need.

G

from my experience netflix almost always comes in HD if you have 10Mb/s or higher. I have 1.5Mb/s and it usually is two bars. If you have less that 1.5Mb/s for a connection, dont even try getting it. It will jsut look horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.