Netflix Stock Tanks After New Q3 Forecast

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Blockbuster? I wouldnt hold my breath for anything from them instead I would advise people looking forward to their service to BEND OVER AND SPREAD WIDE.

After forcing their app on my phone with no way to get it off Blockbuster can suck a big donkey dick.

billcat479

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
The starz deal was all about paranoia from the big customers or big money folks cable and direct tv I would bet. They feel threatened by Netflix and rightly so as many people are jumping ship for cheaper online streaming.
The online business is where the future seems to be heading where people like you and me and baby makes three can find what they want to watch instead of the poor content and very high prices that cable/dish are asking for
I would bet on Netflix coming out on top after a few months to a year and get back customers for a couple or reasons. One is it's still way cheaper than cable/dish. Two, I know that people have very short term attention spans and will opt for price over pride and sign back up because of the price difference. They knew they would take a bashing but also know it is a short term issue and will get back most who have left and continue to get more of the people jumping ship on the cable/dish area.
It is a good move, they don't really care who they piss off because they are taking the long term view which will win out in the end unless others can build up a competing streaming business that is cheaper while people are still mad at them.

And that Starz issue is a non-issue. I agree with a lot of people on here when they say good bye, you suck anyway and won't be missed. I've rarely seen anything worth watching in the starz area on Netflix and them leaving won't make a dent in what I watch.
I don't know who else they have to deal with to get movies but if there is more that take off from Netflix then they could be in real trouble as well as the entire on-line streaming business. If the big boys want to expand into this area as part of their already huge fee's and put pressure on the whole industry who knows what will happen. I don't know if this is even something they can do but if they CAN do it they will.
If Netflix wanted more customers and a little more money they could have dropped their price one dollar and got a huge amount of customers. But they may not have the equipment needed to handle the bandwidth from a large amount of streamers so they maybe don't want them now but later as they build up their systems to handle the traffic. Just a guess there.
But with the economy on the rocks people are going to be taking good looks at where they can cut costs and not hurt them that much with makes Netflix look all the more attractive choice. Even with the price hike.
I know 3 people personally who have said they have had it with cable/dish Prices and very poor content.
Me I don't care one way or the other, I started years ago with a DVD recorder/burner and have gotten all most every movie and a lot of shows 500+ DVD's worth so the whole issue doesn't matter to me but it might matter to others. I saw how cheap the cable/dish network channels were getting and so planed it out. I got what is good from the tv and supplement the rest with streamed shows. Dropped DirectTV and haven't missed it one bit. I really do like how much more money I have now that they are not getting it.
Man, it all really adds up to a lot of money to pay to watch a lot of crap being offered today and on top of it they are doing repeated shows every day on a number of channels so it's value tanked and I got the heck out of that rip off industry.
In a weird way you know when something is going wrong in any town is when the pawn shops and low life stores start moving in and when they started a show about pawn shops of all things it was enough of a sign saying get the heck out of here. What I still can't understand is who is watching that crap that keeps it going? Is the tv watching public going totally brain dead? Or watch those stupid car shows and that really stupid motorcycle show where all you hear is a ton of beeping noise that says "foul language here" that maybe some can think it's neat and cool on it's own and the rest if meaningless dribble from greasers with a soap opera tint to it of who will get fired this episode. Geez, is this what people really watch? Maybe the under 13 year folks can get entertained by it.
Then again I know younger ones then that, that can see through it. Lets just leave it as a low to no IQ segment that get off on it and the people who just like shows where you don't have to think while watching them.
It's shows like this that helps making the switch to streaming so popular.
So I can understand why Netflix is doing this price/format change and will get away with it.

G

EpixHD, Crackle (free) , HULU plus .... have lot of movies. In my case our nearby library allows us to rent 7 movies for a week for free. That includes brand new movies. I am glad i cancelled netflix an year back.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Made the swap to blockbuster for disks , keeping net flix for steaming... main reason being i can get ps3/xbox 360 games through blockbuster or blue rays if there is no games i'm interested in atm

Status
Not open for further replies.