New $199 Xbox 360 Slim (Arcade) Imminent

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
I find it funny how people fall for these consoles.

I mean i have heard of people saying they have bought their 5th-6th Xbox. Its kind of lame. Now there are concerns if the old hard drive will work with the new xbox lol. Thats again a kick in the nuts for the people who bought a 100usd 60gig hard drive lol.

Not to mention on console every game costs 15-20usd extra compared to the PC version. After all that the console will still be playing the game at a measily 720p or mostly below that res.

Lastly what happens when a console gen ends. There are high chances you will lose support for most of the library you built that gen. Its great on PC we can maintain our library and keep growing it. I know i would be dissapointed if i couldnt currently play CS, warcraft3, SC, half life and many of the other classics.

Going console is expensive and setting yourself up to get ripped by these companies.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]As for the hard drive, the Slim's HDD is internal, just like the PS3 and original Xbox's. The plus side is that it might be more possible to replace it with a giant-size one affordably; my bets are that it'll use one of the standard form-factors for 2.5" drives, either the fatter desktop drive, or the thinner laptop formfactor. So modders, say goodbye to your 250GB Xbox 360, and say hello to your new 1 terabyte Xbox 360![/citation]

My understanding was that the 360's hard disk caddy contained a standard size hard disk, the problem is that the custom firmware / file on the disk only allowed hard disk sizes that microsoft sold to be used. So you have always been able to upgrade the HDD yourself, but only to the same capacity as one that is commercially available.

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
@will_chellam

Xbox accessories are usually over priced by a ratio of around 200-400% above normal market prices. Microsoft makes a killing on the accessories. Its something console users dont get to see when they initially are trapped into getting a console for 199usd. The accessories and game prices later on are rediculous.

Up until now anyone using products like HDS, wifi devices from other manufacturers have had their consoles banned from XBL. Microsoft obviously does this to eliminate competition and keep high prices on accessories.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Isnt this slightly outdated by 5 years or so...Their repackaging it, new paint adding bigger hard drive games will look the same old crappy 720p with jaggies, no thanks. Now back to playing Bad Company 2 at 2560 x 1600 with 8X AA and 16X AF no jaggies. Thats 1600p for those of you that think 720p is HD, lol.[/citation]

could you be a bigger a-hole please , i think ther are stil a few less rich console gmaers taht think soem pc gamers are nice folks , we just cant have that now , you need to get those last few , to think that all us PC gmaers are jack asses. (note this is sarcasim)

but seriously dude , rich braggin ass pc gmaer';s liek your self are why most console gamers think Pc gmaers are all snotty a-holes. quit giving us this rich stuck up boy image.

I play games on a pc that is weak comapred to yorus , , amd athy 64 x2 5000+ black ed Oc'ed to 3 ghxz , only 3 gigs ram , and a meager much cheaper 5770, i scrounged for buildigna dn upgradign this pc , i rarely avhe money for games ,adn my monitor's max res is 1600x900. i'm nto rich and i don't put down other entertainment choices we cant all be born with silver spoons in oru mouths ,and unlike you sir , not all pc gamers are born with an A-hole stick up thier back end.

if a console gamers loves thier 730p system who am i to try to insult them over it? shit i stil paly my 360 on an old wide screen CRT , and run on 480p and onlyr eason ic an get that is cos my bro in law gave me a multi system component cable he didnt need.

so please dude ,chill out on jerking off to yourself

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
what concerns me is what kind of forced on HDD will teh 200 dolar variant have ??? if its a crappy 20 gig drive (efectively 13 gigs) but i have a 60 gig drive and want to upgrade to the slim how woudl i get all my old data on to teh new deck ?... seriously i hope like hell the leave the 250 gig in the 199 version sicne ther is nio way to swap drives on the slim model , if not , then they wil be hurting them selves to replace all models with the slime version, becasue no oen wil want to repalce thier current 360 for a slim then

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]kashifme21[/nom]@will_chellamXbox accessories are usually over priced by a ratio of around 200-400% above normal market prices. Microsoft makes a killing on the accessories. Its something console users dont get to see when they initially are trapped into getting a console for 199usd. The accessories and game prices later on are rediculous.Up until now anyone using products like HDS, wifi devices from other manufacturers have had their consoles banned from XBL. Microsoft obviously does this to eliminate competition and keep high prices on accessories.[/citation]

I'm well aware of this.

The point I was trying to make is that it has always been possible to upgrade the xbox hard disk, provided you dont mind finding the same model (western digital I think) that microsoft uses and then installing the custom software on it, it is cheaper than buying the microsoft original, but no match for the flexibility that PS3 users have.

I agree wholeheartedly that the premium microsoft charges for accesories - particularly wifi and hdd is obscene.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]I actually have doubts that there will be any noteworthy level of serious hardware failure (permanent RROD) on the "slim" 360 at a rate higher than that for PS3s and Wiis. ~~ 15-30% rates seen for the 360 that made it infamous should be a thing of the past now.[/citation]

er... the failure rate of 360's is 33~50%.... yes, if your unit is "fixed" 4 times, that is still 4 failures. Its so bad, its rare to know someone who never had a FAILED 360. And keep in mind, some 360-fan boys have developed the habit of replacing their units after 6~12 months of usage or a new version comes out - to reduce their chances of RROD.

The 360-Midget can still fail, its just a Red Dot... now. No more fancy error codes. But overall, the 360-midget should be more reliable than ever.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]kashifme21[/nom]There are high chances you will lose support for most of the library you built that gen.[/citation]
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying there; PC game producers cease supporting their own software after a while, too. And as far as I can see, since the consoles lack any form of "Phone home" DRM (that is becoming irritatingly prevalent in PC games) there's no chance of being rendered unable to play the game if/when the maker goes kaput.

Of course, on the flip side, there IS assumption that is relatively safe, that sometime down the road Xbox Live support will be discontinued; after all, the same was done for even Halo 2. However, that (generally) doesn't mean an unusable game. And of course, there are, as I recall, third-party Xbox Live "emulators" for such cases. (i.e, unofficial Live servers for playing the likes of Halo 2 etc. online)

[citation][nom]will_chellam[/nom]custom firmware / file on the disk only allowed hard disk sizes that microsoft sold to be used.[/citation]
Yes, that could potentially be a roadblock, but I'm pretty sure there will always be ways around it. After all, since no two hard drives have the exact same size any more (since HDDs have variable yield) there's going to be some leeway, or other means you can rest assured console hackers/modders will take advantage of to produce a 360 with an oversize hard drive that can still play on Xbox Live.

[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]er... the failure rate of 360's is 33~50%....[/citation]
I beg to differ; the figures that put it anywhere near 50% all have come from informal, unscientific opinion polls, where it's heavily suspected that a lot of people artificially claimed they had a failed 360 when they didn't, perhaps because a friend did, or just because they'd heard so much about RRODs. (much like how everyone names the Yugo as the worst car ever, in spite of very few ever selling in the USA, and most people labeling it having never seen one)

Real, reliable figures come from those who handle the actual claims; Microsoft won't give much word, but those who handle third-party "extended warranties" do; a survey by Warranty provider SquareTrade concluded that From 2007-2009, the 360 had a failure rate of 23.7%. I'd value that far more than the often-more-cited informal and unscientific poll done by GameInformer that Reported a 54.2% failure rate.

Of course, even a 23.7% failure rate is spectacularly high; this is one of those cases where an occurence will always seem more common than it is when it's a negative one; as those whose consoles work won't be comlaining and making rounds, at a 50% failure rate, it would seem as if there were no on-failing ones. At a lower rate, we can see that tons fail, but definitely not all; it's a matter of perception.

sillyboy86

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]Its so bad, its rare to know someone who never had a FAILED 360.[/citation]

I've had my 360 for almost 3 years now and it has never gotten RROD... I guess I'm one of the rare ones. :p

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Its so bad, its rare to know someone who never had a FAILED 360.[/citation]

Mine has never failed and it's 2 years old...

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
I think their pricing on the existing stock is not aggressive enough if it is MS' plan to get rid of them. My experience with my customers, is they would rather get a slim with wireless, and 250 GB hard drive, then get the old 120 for $50 less, or the deluxe 250s with FFXIII, or SC for $50 more. The old arcade is the only slightly attractive buy, but if the new slim comes with built in wireless.... I like how they don't confirm that.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]cloakster[/nom]The hard drive in the the new Xbox slim is much smaller than the original and therefore is not compatible with each other.[/citation]

That's what I recall as well but it may still be able to replace it with an after market drive or pick up the $199 "arcade slim" this fall and add an internal drive if the drive controller is not disabled.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]will_chellam[/nom]I'm well aware of this.The point I was trying to make is that it has always been possible to upgrade the xbox hard disk, provided you dont mind finding the same model (western digital I think) that microsoft uses and then installing the custom software on it, it is cheaper than buying the microsoft original, but no match for the flexibility that PS3 users have.I agree wholeheartedly that the premium microsoft charges for accesories - particularly wifi and hdd is obscene.[/citation]

You're mostly right. There is a piece of firmware that is an indicator for which model the hard drive is. You can put a smaller (say 60 gig) marker onto a bigger (say 250 gig drive) and the 360 will use it like a 60 gig drive.

Obviously these markers are only available after one of that kind comes to market.

And the actual drive that came in mine was a hitachi. The western digitals were used because the original hacker that wrote it wrote it for the spot on the western digital drives. You technically can use any model of hard drive, but you'd have to write something similar/manually edit whatever you bought in the same way that he made the original program.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
To those of you who down voted me for suggesting moving the hard drive itself instead of the enclosure. I was right. Just because a box is a different, smaller size does not mean that the standard ******* hard drive inside of it is different in any way. Coming up with a different actual form factor would be WAY more expensive.

http://www.justpushstart.com/2010/06/17/xbox-360-slims-hard-drive-is-replaceable-but-with-a-catch/

"In a recent conversation with the Xbox Support Team, they said that the Xbox 360 Hard Drive equipped on the Xbox 360 Slim can be replaced with a generic hard drive, HOWEVER, you will need to break the case so that it fit in the enclosure."

adillhoff

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Isnt this slightly outdated by 5 years or so...Their repackaging it, new paint adding bigger hard drive games will look the same old crappy 720p with jaggies, no thanks. Now back to playing Bad Company 2 at 2560 x 1600 with 8X AA and 16X AF no jaggies. Thats 1600p for those of you that think 720p is HD, lol.[/citation]

You're only running one monitor? Gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.