new 4k laptop overheating and struggling to play most games

Yaaarp

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
I have recently purchased a toshiba satellite p50t-c-109 running Windows 10 with dual core i5 2.2 ghz, 12gb ram, gtx 950m and 1tb sshd. It has a 4k resolution screen wich seems to be causing major issues while gaming, the gpu heats up very quickly and even relatively easy to run games are struggling with frames. There has also been some strange issues with sound, it can become distorted and cut in and out, which I'm assuming is either due to temp or cpu capacity. I've tried fiddling with the gpu settings and screen resolution, but I'm relatively new to pc gaming, especially on 4k, and am a bit out of my depth. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

You can turn down the settings of the games until they are playable.
Lowering the resolution, disabling AA, reducing texture filtering. etc.

Also, check your windows power plan, if you're gaming you want it in high performance.

KeelinTy

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014
Have you opened the laptop to make sure the cooling fan and heatsink are clean?
Have you replaced the thermal paste on the cpu and gpu?
Try those and see if the laptop performs any better

Yaaarp

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Hi guys thanks for replying, I am far to inexperienced to be ripping open laptops, but the fan is definately running and as a new laptop I would hope that the thermal paste is in good condition. I know that the hardware is not 4k capable, but is there a way of tuning the settings so that I can actually play anything?

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

You can turn down the settings of the games until they are playable.
Lowering the resolution, disabling AA, reducing texture filtering. etc.

Also, check your windows power plan, if you're gaming you want it in high performance.

Solution