New Apple TV Now Goes to 1080p, Coming March 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I really don't understand why all of these are being spread out into their own article. All of the new products they announced was covered in an article earlier today. Seems like just spreading more Apple news for advertising.

zodiac321

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
And what can this thing do that Google TV can't?

Let me guess, it runs HTML5 to prepare for the future instead of flash

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Apple TV is great for people with Apple products but I think Roku box are better and cheaper.[/citation]

Apple TV works great if you like to use ITunes. Roku is a great box as well though. If you have iPad or iPhone the Apple Remote app is really slick as well. Allows you to controll all the Apple TV's and what content is playing on each one. Cover Art included. Really cool.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]zodiac321[/nom]And what can this thing do that Google TV can't?Let me guess, it runs HTML5 to prepare for the future instead of flash[/citation]

Integrate with other devices. They are both about the same other than that.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Integrate with other devices. They are both about the same other than that.[/citation]
Like what exactly? My google TV and android phone work well together. Controller apps, games, ect. can be played between the two.
[citation][nom]xellow741[/nom]Lets not forget other devices (google TV, Ruko) do not have airplay or screen mirroring like Apple TV.[/citation]
Screen mirroring as in having the image/video on both the phone and tv, not exactly, but I have no problem displaying videos and images to my google TV. So far they don't sound too different aside from having a better browser on google tv from my experience.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]zodiac321[/nom]And what can this thing do that Google TV can't?Let me guess, it runs HTML5 to prepare for the future instead of flash[/citation]

Airplay

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]shardey[/nom]Airplay[/citation]
Like i said before, you CAN stream video and images to an google tv from a phone or tablet. It just doesn't have a name like "airplay"
First there is an app called Airtight.
Even without that i can stream videos, images, pretty much everything except gameplay from my phone to the tv wirelessly.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]omega21xx[/nom]Like i said before, you CAN stream video and images to an google tv from a phone or tablet. It just doesn't have a name like "airplay"First there is an app called Airtight.Even without that i can stream videos, images, pretty much everything except gameplay from my phone to the tv wirelessly.[/citation]

How about from your PC/MAC to the google TV? The ease of use is also a definite plus.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]shardey[/nom]How about from your PC/MAC to the google TV? The ease of use is also a definite plus.[/citation]
I don't have a mac so I'm not too sure (they probably have a DLNA enabled media server application somewhere to allow streaming from a mac), but PC streaming is easy since it's DLNA enabled. Apps allow you to do remote desktop stuff as well so you essentially can just skip the need to go to the computer, click play, then go back to the tv. I'm sure this can eventually (or already) be done on Apple TV. To me it really seems the difference is in terms of UI and browser preference.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]omega21xx[/nom]Like what exactly? My google TV and android phone work well together. Controller apps, games, ect. can be played between the two.Screen mirroring as in having the image/video on both the phone and tv, not exactly, but I have no problem displaying videos and images to my google TV. So far they don't sound too different aside from having a better browser on google tv from my experience.[/citation]

You answered your own question. Airplay and several other integration points. They both do the same thing though. I think the Google TV may have more apps however. Not sure if that is going to change with the new version of IOS.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]omega21xx[/nom]I don't have a mac so I'm not too sure (they probably have a DLNA enabled media server application somewhere to allow streaming from a mac), but PC streaming is easy since it's DLNA enabled. Apps allow you to do remote desktop stuff as well so you essentially can just skip the need to go to the computer, click play, then go back to the tv. I'm sure this can eventually (or already) be done on Apple TV. To me it really seems the difference is in terms of UI and browser preference.[/citation]

I can send content from PC/MAC or iDevice to the Apple TV. I can control the EQ and the volume from there as well or I can via the Apple TV stream the content that way as well. It is bidirectional and works well. Google TV does allot of the same things but I am not sure if it is bidirectional

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]I can send content from PC/MAC or iDevice to the Apple TV. I can control the EQ and the volume from there as well or I can via the Apple TV stream the content that way as well. It is bidirectional and works well. Google TV does allot of the same things but I am not sure if it is bidirectional[/citation]
Hmm.. not sure, haven't really tried. Good to know however. If they don't have it yet there will be "...an app for that" lol

nukemaster

Distinguished
They are a bit late to the 1080p steamer party, but you sure know they will be the ones who invented it.

Either way, as long as it is well polished and works well, I guess its not "that" expensive.

I personally have no real plans for this device.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]1080p is soo 2008 now. I want my 4KTV fix next. I'm gaming now at 2560 x 1600 and never looked back at 1080 res for 2 years now.[/citation]
I know. Its pretty sad when their new iPad has a higher resolution than their TV.

jonnyhuk2

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]I know. Its pretty sad when their new iPad has a higher resolution than their TV.[/citation]
You can understand TV is a complex thing to change resolution, worldwide recording media and hardware etc, but there's no excuse for computer monitors to be stuck at 1080 lines. 1200 lines was common before "HD" became the in-thing. Heck, even my 1990's Sony 17" CRT could do 1200 lines, just couldn't use it as everything was so small on the 17" screen (16" visable), but now with 24" widescreens and bigger, we really need higher resolutions.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Apple TV is great for people with Apple products but I think Roku box are better and cheaper.[/citation]

Roku??? really???

I thought it did not network with your computer and just did Netflix and that sort of thing. Maybe I'm wrong though, someone can correct me if I am.

Western Digital Live TV is the way to go. It connects wirelessly with any computer on my network. I can stream files directly from my computer to it... including torrents... And it also has the Netflix/ Hulu feature and some similar such connections which it can do on its own without being connected to a computer. I can run it in conjunction with my laptop or my PC or I can just let it connect to Netflix on its own and stream some movies/tv shows (and all without wires of course).

That's what I've been using for awhile and I only paid $80 dollars for it (although I think its normally $99).

Oh and YES its 1080 resolution and has been for about a year now. If Western Digital could have done it a year ago, one would think that it wouldn't been as hard as "jonnyhuk2" implied for Apple to do it. But of course according to the fanboys this is a major breakthrough that Apple invented.............

Status
Not open for further replies.