Solved! New battery connecting and disconnecting from charger after a certain percent. (Windows 7)

Jan 21, 2019
The old internal battery of my laptop was only able to hold around 50% of its original capacity, so I decided to buy a new one. After i swapped them around, I immediately tried charging the new battery to 100%. However, once I reach 56%, the laptop would just randomly connect and disconnect from charging. Whenever it reconnects, it would charge up until the next percent, then it would disconnect again, and repeat the cycle. This is consistent around 56%. The terminals for both the charger and the battery are Ok. I was wondering if this has something to do with recalibrating the power management of the laptop. I tried checking the bios for some recalibration/battery information but it's a pretty bare bios. This a Windows 7 Pro, Acer Travelmate TP450mg laptop. I bought a generic laptop battery from Newegg since genuine replacements for this type of battery are both expensive (in excess of $100) and hard to find. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: The results for HWMonitor and windows are consistent. They both report the same percentage. Wear Level is at 0%

hang-the-9

Titan

Any battery calibration utility would be from the vendor. Probably just a cheap bad battery.

Jan 21, 2019
I did your suggestion: charging the laptop with power off. It only charges up until 66%, by which time the battery just doesn't go past that percentage. There are no battery calibration that is installed. Is there a software that you can recommend to calibrate the battery?

hang-the-9

Titan

Any battery calibration utility would be from the vendor. Probably just a cheap bad battery.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Laptop Tech Support 3
slydoge Laptop Tech Support 2
G Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1