New Cyber Attacks May Target Your PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
"Currently the KCC has blocked all five IP addresses that were used to distribute the viruses, cutting off any future attempt to distribute additional viruses or to carry out DDoS attacks."

hahaahahahahahah really. because blocking 1 ip address in Germany, Austria, Georgia, South Korea and the US will stop any and all possible attempts to distribute the virus and to carry out DDOS.

Because releasing and renewing your ip address is probably way above these guys skill level?

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]lifelesspoet[/nom]I'm not a fanboy nor am I advocating a particular system, but I would very much prefer if you didn't use PC as being the same as windows. Mac os X and linux have viruses and security holes as well and they are as well personal computers. With their growing market share it is increasingly common for a none windows pc's to not run windows.I know what you meant, but would appreciate it very much.[/citation]

I'm going to laugh my tail off when someone finally gets fed up with all the "Macs/Linux are impenetrable" talk and releases an uber-virus in the wild targeted for those systems. There are security holes in OSX that Apple just doesn't patch... probably because they don't expect an attack.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]Ramar[/nom]Why don't you help us fight rather than assume that because 4chan has something to do with it, it MUST be a hoax?[/citation]

Because if 4chan has something to do with it, it MUST be a hoax.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
It's called Ghost and/or PQDI.

Format your machine... make a perfect install. Image the HDD with GHOST.

Now you never care if you get a virus because your machine is 30mins-3hrs away from a fresh, clean install.... by clicking five "next" buttons.

I am so far past the days where i cared about Virus' on my home machines.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Do we get to know how these viruses and bots are being deployed onto the hapless computers??? They make it sound like the hackers are doing this with no interaction from the targeted users.

Are there still vulnerabilities in flash, shockwave, or any other scripting language? Are people downloading infected apps and running them on their computers? Or, are the hackers breaking into the machines to install their malware?

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]ravenware[/nom]"The attacks, originally kicking off on July 4th and using the "distributed denial of service" approach, have targeted South Korean and --> U.S. government[/citation]

Did you completely skip this line?
The Korea Communications Commission (KCC), a South Korean government agency, said that the next wave of cyber attacks believed to occur today could strike consumer PCs and wipe out hard drives.

It was just above the line you quoted. This came from South Korea, but oh well. Keep your tin foil hats....

Status
Not open for further replies.