Solved! New Gaming Laptop/Desktop Replacement 1600 Dollars

andyman30

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Hi Everyone, looking for a little advice here about which laptop to buy.

1. What is your budget?

$1500-$1600

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Definitely a 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1920x1080 screen

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop Replacement, I have a high end desktop workstation, but due to the mobile demands of college I need to be able to take it with me. Doesnt mean I want to skimp on quality though.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Gaming laptops dont have a great battery life, preferrable 3+ hours, or at least one with eco mode so i can make it through a day of class.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Crysis 2, L4D, Dawn of War II, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 3. All on high/very high

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Minimal photoshopping, other than that just basic everyday tasks.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Would prefer 750/1TB and a small ssd for the OS if possible

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I have been giving this laptop considerable thought, not sure if anybody has a better idea/similar replacement.

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g53sxxr1-p-3125.html?wconfigure=yes

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Around 3 years, 4 if possible.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Bluray read, write if not too expensive

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Will never buy Dell after selling them all summer, was considering going with either MSI, Asus, or sager.

13. What country do you live in?

Colorado USA

Hopefully this is enough information for somebody to think of a decent laptop. I would like to stay under 9 pounds, as I do carry this around campus all day. Other than that, I would like a high quality desktop replacement without having it be too heavy to ever leave the desk. 7-8 pounds is fine with me, I'm relatively big myself so the weight doesnt bother me as much.
Any other info that would help you guys pick a nice machine, just let me know!

Thanks

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
G53 is amazing. But you might also try this HP Pavilion DV7-6195US 17.3" Notebook, Intel Core i7-2630QM (2.00GHz up to 2.90GHz with Turbo Boost), 8GB DDR3 Memory, $999.00
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d278164&ru=28907625
Not bad stuff. Hope u find the best bet. Good luck.

No way. The OP said he wants high/very high settings. 6770M won't do it.

The Sagers, Asus and Clevos suggested are all good options... Alienware less so, but still good... if you feel like throwing money away for nice design, go for an Asus VX7 or Razer Blade =)