New Gaming Laptop

As laptop manufacturers are (or should be) notorious for poor driver support, I'd say none.

Given the lower resolution of the Toshiba, it will probably perform the best out of the three in gaming, though you certainly do not need 12GB of RAM for a gaming system.

The ASUS system from Best Buy is probably the most well-rounded system, as gaming systems go, and is also the lowest priced. It won't match the performance of the Toshiba, but you should have a much cleaner/sharper image.

The Samsung should nearly match the performance of the Toshiba (better graphics for the higher resolution), but again, at the expense of cost and unnecessary specifications.

You barely need more than 4GB of RAM for a gaming system. The ASUS laptop provides plenty with 8GB. Anything above that (Toshiba 12GB/Samsung 16GB) is wasted money.

As I look at it, you need to decide if the extra $250 for the Toshiba is worth the maybe 10% performance increase you'd see over the ASUS laptop...

Actually, the way I look at it is a laptop should only be purchased as a secondary gaming system; just something to fill the need while you're away from your regular gaming desktop. The money you're willing to spend on a "gaming" laptop is more than enough to build/buy a decent gaming desktop/tower (and probably a netbook for non-gaming mobility).

-Wolf sends

g-unit1111

Distinguished
The Asus one looks decent but it's marred by a slow hard drive. Plus you have to deal with Best Buy and their atrocious Geek Squad service

The Samsung has good specs but for the price you could easily get a much better one from a boutique vendor like Origin, Sager, or Falcon Northwest.

That Toshiba one has a terrible resolution for the price - if you're paying that much for a laptop you want minimum 1080p or better.

I'd suggest something like this: http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP9170

silvershadow113

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

How does this sound?:

Display 17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finished Surface (1920 x 1080)
Video & Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M GPU with 4GB GDDR5 Video Memory [$400.00]
CPU Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.40GHz)
Thermal Compound IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [$35.00]
Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
Memory 12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 3 X 4GB [$35.00]
RAID Storage Options Non-RAID Storage
Primary Hard Disk Drive 60GB Intel 520 Series SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive [$50.00]
2nd Hard Disk Drive 750GB 7200rpm SATA2 Secondary Hard Disk Drive [$80.00]
mSATA SSD Drive — For Intel Smart Response Technology None
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network Card Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
Primary Battery Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Integrated Security Device Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Office Microsoft Office 2013 Trial - Included in Price
Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

g-unit1111

Distinguished

If you can squeeze in a 128GB Crucial M4 and a 1TB secondary HD that would be a lot better but otherwise that Sager is way better than most of the original laptops picked.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Well do you want to replace it with an SSD or a faster HD?