New HyperX Cloud 2 popping/crackling sounds

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdk4sabres

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
I just received my Cloud 2's in the mail and upon plugging them in(They are wired and USB only) I've noticed that when I'm in a game or watching a video there is a frequent popping or crackling noise. It's not too loud but it doesn't happen with my PX22 Turtle Beach headset or my actual Speakers. It also does not occur when sitting idle, or with mouse movement or anything like that.

I tried updating my Realtek Drivers, tried changing the audio quality in properties, disabling Razer Surround Pro software in case it was conflicting somehow. I'm not sure what else to do.

Update:

If I disconnect the headset from the on board driver and use them as headphones for my phone and play music or watch a youtube video then there are no popping sounds. So it's either the on board driver or my computer.

Update 2:

Hooked them up to my Brother in law's pc and they still pop, so it's not specifically my PC causing some sort of interference or software conflict. Maybe I should return them? Seems like there's an issue with the on board driver. I don't know...

Update 3:

Since the popping doesnt happen with my Turtle Beach's or my speaker system, I'm assuming it's a driver issue and while I did update my Asus realtek audio driver yesterday, that driver was from the 5th. Today I see a new one(11th) so hopefully that driver will fix it.

Update 4:
The driver didn't change anything.

Update 5:

I tried the DPC latency program and I do get one red bar indicating one of my drivers is causing the crackling issue. I hope I'm on the right track now.

Update 6:

I tried disabling drivers one at a time like the DPC latency program says to do and nothing seemed to stop it. Not sure which driver it is.

If it matter my specs are:

Asus M5a97 R2.0 motherboard(brand new)
Sapphire R9 270 Dual X OC edition(few months old)
AMD fx 6300(brand new)
8gb ram
Corsair CX600 psu
NZXT Guardian Case(brand new)
and a CM Hyper 212 evo cooler soon

Solution
They have finally fixed it. I wrote to them through technical support about the popping/crackling in my headset like the others in this thread have done and they have finally fixed it with a firmware update, the update was provided to me through a link to their website that they sent me through email.

To check the popping problem I used audiocheck's Sine Sweep - Full Spectrum sound files which very easily reveal the popping problem.

The new firmware updates from version 0003 to version 0005 and it finally solves the issues that persisted in previous versions, to get the update, just ask them through the technical support. I could also post the link they provided if anyone asks for it, but I don't know if I'm supposed to share it.

vanjan

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
UPDATE: I have been notified by Hyperx that they have sent out my replacement USB dongle. They also emailed me a shipping label to return the original one. They claim to have fixed the issue, hopefully its true!

Silakoitsia

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
I've been also having constant static sound and a bit of crackling too with my new HyperX Cloud 2.

I also noticed today that if i set my volume to 73 or higher the static sound increases drastically, wondering if anyone else has that specific problem too. I feel like I've tried everything to fix the problem but nothing seems to work.

And just to be clear, this issue isn't hardware related but software, right?

At this point, I guess that it would be helpful if every user experiencing this issue would post the motherboard, power supply model and if using USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 port (or both). Maybe there's a pattern.

And a moderator should "unsolve" it, as... it has not been solved...yet.

Silakoitsia

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015

Motherboard: Acer Predator G3-605
Power supply: 500W (model unknown)
USB: Both 3.0 and 2.0

Aamir Raza

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015
I got the new usb dongle via Royal Mail, nothing fixed. I can still hear the static noise when playing quiet ambient songs or playing songs on low volume. Even when there's no media playing in the background, I still hear static noise. If I turn the volume higher the static noise is masked by the louder music. I doubt it's any different when gaming with these headsets.

I really wonder how this got through the Q&A.

Pic:
http://i.imgur.com/ZDyMnef.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2PorB72.jpg (manual)

Motherboard : MSI P67A-C43
USB: Both 3.0 and 2.0
PSU: MS-Tech 750 W

MarcLK

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
Also suffering from popping every now and then, especially noticeable when reproducing certain frequencies as well. There are certain times in Elite dangerous f.ex. where due to the high dynamic range, there's quite a number of low and high freq samples playing concurrently and the crackling/popping somewhat intensifies. Among switching USB ports and the like, I was also driven to think that maybe sample rate had something to do with it as well, but upon turning down the sample rate via the audio options, the popping was still there.

I will say, it is not loud, but it is there, and since I'm very sensitive to those sort of quirks, it is now really apparent to me. It is a shame because I too went by all the rave reviews, even by pages I trust quite a bit, and it was exactly in my budget range. Also sad is the fact that it is by far and away the most comfortable headset I have ever owned, and the audio quality barring the popping is rather sublime. I have contacted support as well, awaiting response. I really hope there is a fix for this rather than a curse on the entire line of products, because if it wasn't for this quirk, it's my favorite headset.

Serqwe15

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
Got a headset from Taiwan yesterday, still have crackling, though weak, but constant, which is very depressing for me.

I'm from Russia and bought through Ebay, apparently I did not get my money back? Hope for a miracle after two months is not enough ...

Mosteragda

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015
I got my headphones to day and cant even get sound with the usb soundcard. worked fine in stereo with my phone. I also hear crackling noises but nothing more.

Nvm updated my motherboards usb 3 drivers and used a usb 3 slot for my headphones in that slot. works fine now it seems thanks any way!

One more thing i needed to go in to sound devices settings and pick cloud 2 as default

Swedish

xerati

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015
Got my Cloud 2 today and noticed the constant static sound immediately tried to connect it to both USB 2.0 and 3.0 didn't fix anything I hope we can get a fix for this problem soon.

Also if you keep the Headset earphone volume below 73 in sound > Playback > properties > levels, it should be fine but you can still hear a little bit of static.

Hope there will be a software fix for this problem soon.

ClausJ

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015
Just received my Cloud 2 aswell today. Getting popping/crackle noise constantly, specially with music. The volume is not even that high.
Im so sad!

Fix please!

xerati

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015
Is anyone not having the static/popping problem? I also tried it on my old windows 7 laptop same problem again. Works fine on my phone.

Please change the status too unsolved.

ClausJ

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015
#Update/suggestion.
Found my old USB dongle from a Siberia V2 headset. Plugged the Cloud II into that, popping/crackle is 100% gone.

Problem is 100% the HyperX USB dongle, getting a new one from same batch is not gonna help anything at the moment i guess?

xerati

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015
Damm seems like 25% of the comments are about this problem on Amazon. I should have checked the comments there before buying it. I'ts just bad design by Kingston and they still didn't came up with a solution for this. I'm probably going to return them and buy some different headset.

Jslamas

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
I had a slight buzzing and i fixed it by going to playback devices, right clicking the headphones and heading to properties, hit the enhancement tab and checking low frequency protection. Worked like a charm after

MarcLK

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
Well, regarding "getting another dongle from the same batch", here's my quandary. There are so many rave reviews out there, even among supposed audiophile reviewers and youtube channels, none of which have mentioned any issue with the dongle (personally contacted a few as well, same story) even with review pieces. Which leads me to believe it may not be a batch issue, but rather a more frequent failure than usual. Poor Q&A maybe? Anywho, I'm just really surprised none of the reviewers have encountered this very annoying issue with the dongle. Other than that, the sound quality is top notch, so now I'm just waiting on my new dongle as well hopefully fixing the problem, 2 weeks after original purchase...

Status
Not open for further replies.