New HyperX Cloud 2 popping/crackling sounds

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdk4sabres

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
I just received my Cloud 2's in the mail and upon plugging them in(They are wired and USB only) I've noticed that when I'm in a game or watching a video there is a frequent popping or crackling noise. It's not too loud but it doesn't happen with my PX22 Turtle Beach headset or my actual Speakers. It also does not occur when sitting idle, or with mouse movement or anything like that.

I tried updating my Realtek Drivers, tried changing the audio quality in properties, disabling Razer Surround Pro software in case it was conflicting somehow. I'm not sure what else to do.

Update:

If I disconnect the headset from the on board driver and use them as headphones for my phone and play music or watch a youtube video then there are no popping sounds. So it's either the on board driver or my computer.

Update 2:

Hooked them up to my Brother in law's pc and they still pop, so it's not specifically my PC causing some sort of interference or software conflict. Maybe I should return them? Seems like there's an issue with the on board driver. I don't know...

Update 3:

Since the popping doesnt happen with my Turtle Beach's or my speaker system, I'm assuming it's a driver issue and while I did update my Asus realtek audio driver yesterday, that driver was from the 5th. Today I see a new one(11th) so hopefully that driver will fix it.

Update 4:
The driver didn't change anything.

Update 5:

I tried the DPC latency program and I do get one red bar indicating one of my drivers is causing the crackling issue. I hope I'm on the right track now.

Update 6:

I tried disabling drivers one at a time like the DPC latency program says to do and nothing seemed to stop it. Not sure which driver it is.

If it matter my specs are:

Asus M5a97 R2.0 motherboard(brand new)
Sapphire R9 270 Dual X OC edition(few months old)
AMD fx 6300(brand new)
8gb ram
Corsair CX600 psu
NZXT Guardian Case(brand new)
and a CM Hyper 212 evo cooler soon

Solution
They have finally fixed it. I wrote to them through technical support about the popping/crackling in my headset like the others in this thread have done and they have finally fixed it with a firmware update, the update was provided to me through a link to their website that they sent me through email.

To check the popping problem I used audiocheck's Sine Sweep - Full Spectrum sound files which very easily reveal the popping problem.

The new firmware updates from version 0003 to version 0005 and it finally solves the issues that persisted in previous versions, to get the update, just ask them through the technical support. I could also post the link they provided if anyone asks for it, but I don't know if I'm supposed to share it.

papatom914

Estimable
May 27, 2015
Sounds like you may have 2 different sample rates enabled - one for the HyperX and the other for the System? If not, maybe a bad or underspec cable? Third possible reason would be another app or process running at the same time, stealing computing cycles or conflicting in some other way for the hardware. I'm not a user of your platform, but that's what I'd check on first in my world. Good Luck!

arne_jordgubbe

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015

Late reply, but it will not get fixed. You must contact support.

I can tell everyone here i got this issue, nothing fixed on the replacement USB just a little better. Now going to return them either to Kingston or the shop i got them from depending if i have to pay shipping if i return them to Kingston.

laukun

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015

I have the same driver as both of you and i got the problem. I just bought mine this week :(

I dont know how any reviwer do not have this problem...

Koniakki

Estimable
Sep 13, 2015
POSSIBLE SOLUTION? Possibly.

Guys I got the HyperX Cloud II a week ago. I learned about the crackling popping sounds unfortunately after the purchase. I always do my research and reading if possible all the available reviews of something I will buy(in any language also) but I somehow missed this and couple others threads/topics about the crackling/popping problems of this otherwise excellent headset.

I was using it with Windows 7 and the crackling sounds weren't that terrible but were pretty distracting and annoying. Of course they happen ONLY when using the provided DSP Usd dongle. I was avoiding using it and I was using it straight with the jack.

So yesterday I downgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and voila! When I tried it with the USB Dongle, guess what? No crackling sounds or anything so far.Of course although the volume level in the settings through the Windows is 55 I think, still its working fine.

Possible reason for this is the new drivers of the headset. I will do further testing and if anything comes up I will let you all know.

Date of Driver: 09-Jul-15
Driver Version: 10.0.10240.16384

VeXXXX

Estimable
Sep 20, 2015
I actually had the weirdest solution. when I plugged the dongle into a USB 2.0 port, the popping was gone. when I put it back into the 3.0 port, the popping appeared again. I guess its not really made for USB 3.0. It worked for me o_O

bladestorm91

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015
They have finally fixed it. I wrote to them through technical support about the popping/crackling in my headset like the others in this thread have done and they have finally fixed it with a firmware update, the update was provided to me through a link to their website that they sent me through email.

To check the popping problem I used audiocheck's Sine Sweep - Full Spectrum sound files which very easily reveal the popping problem.

The new firmware updates from version 0003 to version 0005 and it finally solves the issues that persisted in previous versions, to get the update, just ask them through the technical support. I could also post the link they provided if anyone asks for it, but I don't know if I'm supposed to share it.

Solution

FinalKenpachi

Estimable
Jul 31, 2015

I send my headset to the service today. Can i get link if they can't fixed i can try?

bladestorm91

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015

I've sent you the link.

It would be good to post the link here for all users experiencing the issue.
I guess that the firmware update is not secret.:)

Peedy_tech

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015

I have the same issue and would like to get the link to that updated firmware aswell. You could pm me or maybe just post it here in this topic as I don't think a firmware update is a big secret. Much appreciated.

blackb0x

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

I mentioned that I had REV_0003 and they sent me a REV_0004. You're saying that there's now an executable that'll update the firmware to REV_0005? Could you please share the link either on here or via a private message? Thanks.

Hows the volume levels for you? REV_0003 was really loud and REV_0004 almost halved the maximum volume.

gravufo

Estimable
Oct 16, 2015

Would you mind sending me the link as well, please? I'll try it and report back.
My problem is slightly different in that I have a fuzzy noise when I am on low volume (under 15 in Windows 10). I have Rev_0003 with driver ver. 10.0.10240.16384.

blackb0x

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

I've sent you the link.

REV_0005 fixes the low volume issue that I had with REV_0004. If I were to compare the two I'd say that REV_0005 has about 30% more volume than REV_0004, so if you received a replacement sound card from Kingston and it's hardware ID contains "REV_0004" or "REV_0003" then you'll want the REV_0005 firmware update.

Hopefully Kingston will make the firmware public soon because it finally feels like the 53mm drivers are in full force and there's no more popping/crackling!

Status
Not open for further replies.