New HyperX Cloud 2 popping/crackling sounds

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdk4sabres

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
I just received my Cloud 2's in the mail and upon plugging them in(They are wired and USB only) I've noticed that when I'm in a game or watching a video there is a frequent popping or crackling noise. It's not too loud but it doesn't happen with my PX22 Turtle Beach headset or my actual Speakers. It also does not occur when sitting idle, or with mouse movement or anything like that.

I tried updating my Realtek Drivers, tried changing the audio quality in properties, disabling Razer Surround Pro software in case it was conflicting somehow. I'm not sure what else to do.

Update:

If I disconnect the headset from the on board driver and use them as headphones for my phone and play music or watch a youtube video then there are no popping sounds. So it's either the on board driver or my computer.

Update 2:

Hooked them up to my Brother in law's pc and they still pop, so it's not specifically my PC causing some sort of interference or software conflict. Maybe I should return them? Seems like there's an issue with the on board driver. I don't know...

Update 3:

Since the popping doesnt happen with my Turtle Beach's or my speaker system, I'm assuming it's a driver issue and while I did update my Asus realtek audio driver yesterday, that driver was from the 5th. Today I see a new one(11th) so hopefully that driver will fix it.

Update 4:
The driver didn't change anything.

Update 5:

I tried the DPC latency program and I do get one red bar indicating one of my drivers is causing the crackling issue. I hope I'm on the right track now.

Update 6:

I tried disabling drivers one at a time like the DPC latency program says to do and nothing seemed to stop it. Not sure which driver it is.

If it matter my specs are:

Asus M5a97 R2.0 motherboard(brand new)
Sapphire R9 270 Dual X OC edition(few months old)
AMD fx 6300(brand new)
8gb ram
Corsair CX600 psu
NZXT Guardian Case(brand new)
and a CM Hyper 212 evo cooler soon

Solution
They have finally fixed it. I wrote to them through technical support about the popping/crackling in my headset like the others in this thread have done and they have finally fixed it with a firmware update, the update was provided to me through a link to their website that they sent me through email.

To check the popping problem I used audiocheck's Sine Sweep - Full Spectrum sound files which very easily reveal the popping problem.

The new firmware updates from version 0003 to version 0005 and it finally solves the issues that persisted in previous versions, to get the update, just ask them through the technical support. I could also post the link they provided if anyone asks for it, but I don't know if I'm supposed to share it.

blackb0x

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

People should be warned that if they flash this without a support ticket and it doesn't work for their device version (KHX-HSCP-RD, KHX-HSCP-GM, KHX-HSCP-PK) then they might struggle to get support.

Kingston told me not to give the link out publicly because it's subject to change and if a persons headset is flashed with the firmware without first having a support ticket then that might void their warrenty since they would of knowingly flashed a firmware that's in testing without going through the official channels.

Muiz82

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015

Thanks a lot! Worked like a charm!

tempest501

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I am having this same problem and this software update did not fix it =C Although i noticed when i went to device manager to do that bit and uninstall it didnt dissapear from the list, should it?

FinalKenpachi

Estimable
Jul 31, 2015

Just do it excatly like instructions.

Quzoide

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015
the new firmware update fixed the popping that occurred in each ear randomly, but now I get static crackles when watching videos or using teamspeak/discord. I've tried switching USB port, but it doesnt help, neither does using the 3.5mm jack.

pudruf

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
is it safe to use the 0005 firmware? and when will it get an official release

edit: just tried the 0005 firmware can confirm that its now working flawless no more static popping

blackb0x

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

If it worked and then it started popping/crackling again then it's probably not an issue with the sound card. Maybe try using a different USB 2.0 port?

As long as you follow the PDF's instructions exactly like it says then it should work. Like I've previouly said though, you should contact Kingston instead of using the firmware update. They'll probably send you out a new sound card for free and you shouldn't have to return the original one.

Crookk

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015
This thread has helped me out a lot, when I got the Cloud II headset in May I experienced the same hiss many people here are describing. After finding this thread I contacted Kingston and they quickly sent me a new USB-soundcard (I would believe I went from revision 3 to 4). This helped a great deal, sound quality went up from poor to good.
However there is still a hint of static noise in the background, particularly audible during low volume sections of music. I also feel the audio is slightly less clear and detailed with the soundcard opposed to using the headset connected directly to my computer or phone. I accepted the fact that the mediocre soundcard just wasn't equipped well enough to get the best possible sound quality from the headset (which in my opinion is excellent). The advantages of the external soundcard for me outweigh the slightly lesser sound quality.

But now there's a fifth revision of the thing's firmware, and I'm in doubt about trying it out. This update might enable soundcard to fully use the headset's potential, and get my sound quality up from good to excellent. But it might be a fix to a problem I'm not even experiencing, in which case it could do more harm than good. Maybe I'll give it a go on the old revision 3 card I still have laying around (was nothing of the internal components changed?), and hope Windows manages to not screw up the driver somehow.

One of the things that makes me reluctant is the following: In a pretty recent review of the Cloud II's I read that when changing the volume using the buttons on the soundcard a beeping sound is played to provide feedback about the volume. I'm currently not experiencing that and I'd rather continue not to, and I think this feature might have been implemented with this fifth firmware revision. Can anybody who has updated confirm or deny that this is the fact?

pudruf

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

im on 0005 firmware and theres no beep sound when changing volume on the soundcard

blackb0x

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

I'm not sure if you read my previous posts here, but I went fron a revision 3 to a revision 4. Revision 4 did fix things for me, but it also reduced the maximum volume level by at least 40%. Basically a revision 4 sounded like a revision 3 when it's volume level was set to half.

When I heard about the new firmware I contacted Kingston and they sent me out a revision 5 sound card, but they also gave me the link to the firmware. I've applied it to all of the sound cards that I've received from Kingston and can confirm that it's fixed them all.

0003 = Has hissing/crackling
0004 = Fixed the hissing/crackling, but lowered the maximum volume level
0005 = Fixed everything

marjak93

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
I downloaded and installed the firmware update posted above, and it fixed the crackling/popping sounds on my Cloud II headset. However, now the microphone is not working. I followed the instructions in the PDF file closely, and I tried it a second time too, on a different USB port. In my audio device manager the microphone is simply not picking up any audio.

In the event log there is an error that happened at the time of driver installation after the FW upgrade, it says "Device USB\VID_0951&PID_16A4&MI_00\7&3321d09b&0&0000 could not be migrated". I have no clue whether this is anything related to the microphone issue, but it might be worth noting.

Is anyone familiar with any solution to this problem? Is there any way to revert the firmware back?

Update: After a cold restart (I turned off my computer overnight) the mic works again.

hayk

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Hey guys, from Toronto.
As of this date, November 10th, 2015; I purchased the HyperX Cloud II headphones from Canada Computers a couple of days ago (GM model - all black).
They had the popping sound; read this thread, applied the firmware upgrade 3.0 -> 5.0 all issues resolved.
I noticed the sound was a little quieter, but not really noticeable, so without a doubt the dongle firmware was the issue.

Thanks.

Skorp

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015

I just got my new sound card from Kingston and It fixed the popping noise.
One thing that's different is that the overall noise is quieter so i had to increase it.

Status
Not open for further replies.