New HyperX Cloud 2 popping/crackling sounds

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdk4sabres

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
I just received my Cloud 2's in the mail and upon plugging them in(They are wired and USB only) I've noticed that when I'm in a game or watching a video there is a frequent popping or crackling noise. It's not too loud but it doesn't happen with my PX22 Turtle Beach headset or my actual Speakers. It also does not occur when sitting idle, or with mouse movement or anything like that.

I tried updating my Realtek Drivers, tried changing the audio quality in properties, disabling Razer Surround Pro software in case it was conflicting somehow. I'm not sure what else to do.

Update:

If I disconnect the headset from the on board driver and use them as headphones for my phone and play music or watch a youtube video then there are no popping sounds. So it's either the on board driver or my computer.

Update 2:

Hooked them up to my Brother in law's pc and they still pop, so it's not specifically my PC causing some sort of interference or software conflict. Maybe I should return them? Seems like there's an issue with the on board driver. I don't know...

Update 3:

Since the popping doesnt happen with my Turtle Beach's or my speaker system, I'm assuming it's a driver issue and while I did update my Asus realtek audio driver yesterday, that driver was from the 5th. Today I see a new one(11th) so hopefully that driver will fix it.

Update 4:
The driver didn't change anything.

Update 5:

I tried the DPC latency program and I do get one red bar indicating one of my drivers is causing the crackling issue. I hope I'm on the right track now.

Update 6:

I tried disabling drivers one at a time like the DPC latency program says to do and nothing seemed to stop it. Not sure which driver it is.

If it matter my specs are:

Asus M5a97 R2.0 motherboard(brand new)
Sapphire R9 270 Dual X OC edition(few months old)
AMD fx 6300(brand new)
8gb ram
Corsair CX600 psu
NZXT Guardian Case(brand new)
and a CM Hyper 212 evo cooler soon

Solution
They have finally fixed it. I wrote to them through technical support about the popping/crackling in my headset like the others in this thread have done and they have finally fixed it with a firmware update, the update was provided to me through a link to their website that they sent me through email.

To check the popping problem I used audiocheck's Sine Sweep - Full Spectrum sound files which very easily reveal the popping problem.

The new firmware updates from version 0003 to version 0005 and it finally solves the issues that persisted in previous versions, to get the update, just ask them through the technical support. I could also post the link they provided if anyone asks for it, but I don't know if I'm supposed to share it.

cyber_bot

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
Hi!

i have the same issue with this headset. i managed to fixed once but now its back and cant be fixed again and iam very disappointed. i will never recommend this headset...
any way have you guys found other solution that i should look into please!

thank you

Kevin_55

Estimable
Nov 25, 2015
Update 3: I bought these for my playstation 4... When I first got them, I put them into the second USB slot on my playstation, and I got this crackling sound, I changed the USB slot(I put my controller into the second slot, and the Headset into the first slot) and it stopped... Not sure if its just for the playstation, but maybe change USB slots? not sure if you tried that already... but it worked for me.. it stopped doing the noises for me anyways.

JamesBadger

Estimable
Nov 10, 2015

This happened with the USB soundcard for my Steelseries Siberia V2 headset as well. Turned out sometimes the USB soundcards are just faulty. I recommend returning the headset and getting a new one. I ended up just using an expansion cable for my headset, which eliminated the need for the sound card altogether, but that's not optimal. Return it and get one that works.

uosunsetter

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
Can someone from US request 0003 firmware and share for those who want to rollback? I am from EU and have contacted to support but I haven't received any answers. US part of support seems more active. Thanks.

JamesBadger

Estimable
Nov 10, 2015

It's Sunday dude:p

Draehawk

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
I've recently bought a HyperX Cloud 2 headset along with a new computer, and using the USB audio control, I get background noise.
The 3.5mm jack doesn't have that problem, but regardless of the connection I use, my headset is way too loud. I've had to set my computer's volume at 4 for it to be bearable. Given that the USB audio control works in increments of 4 on my computer's volume setting, it is useless right now.
I have updated the firmware from 3 to 5. I don't recall installing any drivers for this headset. As I said earlier, my computer is brand new; it has practically no software installed on it. I'm running on Windows 10.
Has there been any solution to this kind of problem? It is definetely linked to the USB audio control.

uosunsetter

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

I have contacted them via a support form(which probably sends e-mail) 3-4 days ago :p I can try to call their US number using skype, but my english speaking skills are not good enough :(

Xinistrom

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015

Updating from 0003 to 0005 reduced the static for me, but it's still noticeable, especially if you compare to how clear it is when you plug it directly to the PC and not through the soundcard. I have contacted Kingston and hopefully they have come up with a solution/send me a replacement sound card. This thread makes me think there are actually 2 problems with this headset because some people are saying updating the firmware fixes their problem whilst others are fixed after getting a new soundcard

Leonardo_1

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Hello guys first post here.
I can confirm the crackling/popping noise reduction after firmware update, but it's still noticable though.
I contacted them and they are sending me a new soundcard, also I'm asking my father to go repalace the headset with a new one in the store since the 15 days of trial given by the store haven't finished yet.
After this I will test both soundcards and I'll keep you guys updated!
I'm using windows 10.
Any of you guys think this might be something about the O.S. itself???

Saunaboy

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

Can I have the link aswel

Xealyth

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I'm not sure if this is an issue anyone else is experiencing, and I'm not even sure if it's popping/cracking/whatever people have been calling it (I have updated to firmware 5), but I noticed that when a small amount of quick audio is played, such as selecting an option on a game menu, the sound seems to "fall off" and it's pretty noticeable if it's really quite in the background. Anyone else having this kind of issue/fixed it?

Saunaboy

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

How do you update them oO

Xealyth

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Look at the replies on this page, someone posted a link to the update.

Zvi8875

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Hey guys, i just wanted to let you know Hyperx Cloud II today and had the same issue (my friend who got another pair had the same exact issue) - we ran the 0005 update and it did help for me and not for me
But i do have other issue , when using microphone there is some buzzing in the background (checking with "listen to this device" . When i mute the mic through the 7.1 usb sound card - the buzzing stops).
I'm pretty clueless about what is that buzzing, can it be something with the electric around the cable or something like it?is it the sound card itself which has defect ??
Thanks

venomblade

Estimable
Dec 8, 2015
Just got this headset, noticed a slight popping in my right ear cup only when watching Youtube/gaming/music. Doesn't happen with every song/game, but there will always be something that will inevitably give me that slight almost inaudible popping. Was hoping 0005 would solve my problems, but it still happens :/.

blackb0x

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

Have you tested the headset on a different PC as it could be the USB port and/or the PC's wiring. It's a common problem for USB audio devices.

My headset doesn't really produce any audible noise no matter what connection type I use. The 0005 firmware fixed everything, although it removed the beep from the soundcard when you'd adjust the volume. I don't really care about that though as the only button that's useful on the soundcard is the mute button IMO.

You're lucky if you'll get any help. That's why I previously said "Kingston told me not to give the link out publicly because it's subject to change and if a persons headset is flashed with the firmware without first having a support ticket then that might void their warrenty since they would of knowingly flashed a firmware that's in testing without going through the official channels".

It's most likely an issue with the microphone itself. Contact Kingston and they'll probably send you a replacement.

That sounds like an issue with the headset. Contact Kingston, explain the problem and they'll probably arrange a replacement to be sent out.

Edocsil

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015

Thanks a lot, You saved me and my ears! You helped better even I`ve sent my Clouds to warranty service. Now headphones are working ideally!:love:

thesilencer27

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Hi guys, would you know what's the problem with my Cloud 2. I experience a sudden drop in volume when playing music or gaming, then it will return to normal volume again. It will last for at 2 to 3 seconds.

I'm having this issue when using the USB dongle. Plugging them directly to the sound card is OK. I'm thinking it might be the cables being flexed but it isn't. I sat still, trying not to move much so the cables won't move but it just happens randomly.

Any suggestions/advice on how to fix this. I just bought this headset last November 26.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.