New HyperX Cloud 2 popping/crackling sounds

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdk4sabres

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
I just received my Cloud 2's in the mail and upon plugging them in(They are wired and USB only) I've noticed that when I'm in a game or watching a video there is a frequent popping or crackling noise. It's not too loud but it doesn't happen with my PX22 Turtle Beach headset or my actual Speakers. It also does not occur when sitting idle, or with mouse movement or anything like that.

I tried updating my Realtek Drivers, tried changing the audio quality in properties, disabling Razer Surround Pro software in case it was conflicting somehow. I'm not sure what else to do.

Update:

If I disconnect the headset from the on board driver and use them as headphones for my phone and play music or watch a youtube video then there are no popping sounds. So it's either the on board driver or my computer.

Update 2:

Hooked them up to my Brother in law's pc and they still pop, so it's not specifically my PC causing some sort of interference or software conflict. Maybe I should return them? Seems like there's an issue with the on board driver. I don't know...

Update 3:

Since the popping doesnt happen with my Turtle Beach's or my speaker system, I'm assuming it's a driver issue and while I did update my Asus realtek audio driver yesterday, that driver was from the 5th. Today I see a new one(11th) so hopefully that driver will fix it.

Update 4:
The driver didn't change anything.

Update 5:

I tried the DPC latency program and I do get one red bar indicating one of my drivers is causing the crackling issue. I hope I'm on the right track now.

Update 6:

I tried disabling drivers one at a time like the DPC latency program says to do and nothing seemed to stop it. Not sure which driver it is.

If it matter my specs are:

Asus M5a97 R2.0 motherboard(brand new)
Sapphire R9 270 Dual X OC edition(few months old)
AMD fx 6300(brand new)
8gb ram
Corsair CX600 psu
NZXT Guardian Case(brand new)
and a CM Hyper 212 evo cooler soon

Solution
They have finally fixed it. I wrote to them through technical support about the popping/crackling in my headset like the others in this thread have done and they have finally fixed it with a firmware update, the update was provided to me through a link to their website that they sent me through email.

To check the popping problem I used audiocheck's Sine Sweep - Full Spectrum sound files which very easily reveal the popping problem.

The new firmware updates from version 0003 to version 0005 and it finally solves the issues that persisted in previous versions, to get the update, just ask them through the technical support. I could also post the link they provided if anyone asks for it, but I don't know if I'm supposed to share it.

madmax15

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

guys could you please tell me what windows you are running?

and if the maximum sound volume decreased after this update?

also i wanna double check that the headphone didnt make any staitic-crackling WITH the 7.1 usb sound card connected, thnx

Bciceksoy

Estimable
Dec 18, 2015

1) We are runnig Windows 10.0.10240 64-bit x86
2) Maximum volume might be decreased about %5 percent i guess or maybe not at all. Listening this headphone at max volume will damage your ears anyway. (There is a warning on the box)
3) There is none crackling or any popping noise at all. The passive-static noise at high volume is same not less or more. There is a little bit hhssshh coming from back but it was the same before installing the 0005 firmware to the soundcard. But thats not the issue for me I was gone mad about poppings but they are completely gone :) Thats what it matters to me.

madmax15

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

should it work the same on Win 7?

madmax15

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

are you running win 7? and how can i check for the version i have ?

madmax15

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
just bought the Hyper X Cloud II today and its terrific, fortunately i didn't get the popping or crackling thing, seems like they fixed it however i had this very quite hissing but when i set the volume to about 60 it disappeared so i kept it there and raised the volume of the program im running itself, solved the problem.
7.1 system is already awesome but i wanna know if there is a special setting for it in games that support it like BF3 or something.
if you are thinking about buying one, dont hesitate its awesome (its my first day with it so you judge for yourself) and if u wanna ask any question guys im right here, good luck

Update
ok its the second day and I've been getting the slightest popping, was expecting it anyway i contacted Kingston and still waiting for an answer, turns out im having the REV_0003 version i already downloaded the 0005 driver but i will wait for Kingston to get back to me because i don't wanna flash my driver like they said, i will update once something comes up

Sigurd_1

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016

Brover

Estimable
Jan 23, 2016

Thank you so much, worked fine with me.

I'm using W10 and just followed the instructions on the pdf and it solved the popping issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS