New iPod Shuffle: Simple, or Simply Confusing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I don't understand this at all. The only reason to have a shuffle is as a workout device. How the hell am I supposed to go for a run with the shitty earbuds that I am now forced to use? Earbuds fall out of my ears with only the slightest bump. There is a reason that there is an entire market segment of workout headphones none of which are earbuds. I've used the ones that clip on your ear, the wrap around the neck ones, the inner ear ones and they're all vastly better than the shit apple ones. Apple's doesn't even have uneven length cords to allow you to put the cord behind your neck, how do they expect them to stay in when moving? Not to mention the discomfort of wearing earbuds over any length of time. This is just retarded.

2GooDrumr

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
This is Kind of sad. there are still better alternatives to the shuffle, and they make THIS. unusual concept, it will me miserable to use.

nukemaster

Distinguished
No offense, but since Apple has already taken ideas from others. Why not just rip Sony off one last time.

Center Play.
Then at least use this to make skipping songs better. This is how most Sony phones side buttons work.
+ tap for volume up, hold to skip to next song
- tap for volume down, hold for previous song.

At least its a bit less confusing.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
1) no third-party headphones i guess
2) tekken-like combos have to be memorized for example: to rate a song press 4 times center button and hold, start jumping and scream the louder you scream the biggest the rate

G

One Button to rule them all, One Button to find them,
One Button to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

G

I've owned the original shuffle and the wonderfully designed 2nd generation. I use it in my car attached to an auxiliary input on the radio. It works perfectly as you don't have to look at a screen while you're driving. This new designed turned me off immediately. Now I can hold the shuffle in my hand and know where the volume is and where the skip/forward is. To use the third gen shuffle I'd have to add an inline control (probably an additional $25) and then search for it on the cord. They took the perfect design and changed it for no good reason. I'll have to stock up on 2nd gen units - I'll miss them!

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
If you watch the little video on apple's site for this, you'll see the controls have taken a turn for the "this thing is a pain in the ***". My second generation shuffle I like, a lot. And while I would like 4 gigs of storage, and an even smaller ipod, this doesn't work. I'm only going to reference one navigation tool, the one that allows for the switching of playlists. One has to click and hold, and it will tell you the name of the playlist, then will begin to run down the list of playlists, and you have to click the center button when the name of the playlist you want to listen to is named. This strikes me as idiotic, I can't tell you the number of times I've had to do something else while I was playing with my ipod, get off the subway, get on the subway, put a token in the turnstyle, respond to someone speaking to me. For me at least, my listening is often broken up by events in the outside world that need addressing. Relying on timing to make a selection is a mistake imo, not to mention the "morse code" (to the poster who posted that descriptive, I thought it was apt) required to use the thing, this thing is an atrocious error when it comes to controls. (With due caveat; IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.