New Laptop Battery Life Is Terrible

Brennan357

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016
hi guys so i got an new laptop the lenovo idea pad 305 and i have to say it is good for the price. But there is one thing bugging me and that is the battery life is awful on the website it says the battery is 32 Wh Lithium-Ion, 14.4 V, 2200 mAh
should this battery be lasting longer than 2 hours on balanced power settings and 75% brightness.(i was only streaming a movie online) the website i bought it off said it would get 5 hours life. is there any reasons why this is happening or fixes?
or will i just send it back?
and just while i am here did you hear anything good/bad about this laptop before?

Solution
Generally, things that work the various bits of the computer will cause battery life to halve or worse.

Streaming a video, you're working the CPU, wireless network card, and then the screen brightness a bit. For the rated 5 hours, you'd probably have to be doing something like word processing at a low brightness. Make sure if there is a dedicated GPU besides the Intel graphics that it is disabled.

It was a pain to stretch out my laptop's rated 3-hr battery life in college. It had to be in a low power mode in Windows that slowed the CPU to a crawl, as well as having the brightness turned down.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
Generally, things that work the various bits of the computer will cause battery life to halve or worse.

Streaming a video, you're working the CPU, wireless network card, and then the screen brightness a bit. For the rated 5 hours, you'd probably have to be doing something like word processing at a low brightness. Make sure if there is a dedicated GPU besides the Intel graphics that it is disabled.

It was a pain to stretch out my laptop's rated 3-hr battery life in college. It had to be in a low power mode in Windows that slowed the CPU to a crawl, as well as having the brightness turned down.

Solution

unreal9400

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Did the laptop came with an Intel or AMD CPU ?
75% brightness is too much and it will drain the battery very fast.
It should easily last more than 3 hours if you keep the brightness between 25% to 40%.