Solved! New Laptop Buy

Kooki

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
1_What is your budget?

up to $1,200

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Relatively small-medium small. Definitely not anything over 15"

3_What screen resolution do you want?

I don't care as long as it can play hd movies, etc.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable. However, my desktop is really old and bad so even the crappiest of laptops will end up being my main comp.

5_How much battery life do you need?

A LOT! Battery life is important to me. I am almost always going somewhere so I don't want to have to worry about knowing where all the outlets are whenever I leave home. Preferably over 4-5 hrs.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I don't play many games. Sometimes my brother likes me to play on his WoW private server with him, but I hardly ever play, and that's just about the only game I play. Even then low-med settings are fine. I plan on using my PS3 for gaming.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Internet browsing, word processing, light video editing( YouTube VLogs, 4min length max, no specialFX or anything too fancy like that, sometimes HD footage, sometimes not), movie watching.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

It doesn't really matter what it comes with, I can upgrade my hdd for cheap.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
newegg.com, apple.com, or any other respectable site is fine.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

at least all 4 years of college.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

dvd is fine. don't need blu-ray.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I don't know much about brands. Preferably brands like hp, toshiba, mac, asus, and not brands like gateway, dell, acer (heard some bad things about these brands).

13_What country do you live in?

United States.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I have been heavily researching the mac line of laptops. The 13" in particular, it's 1,099 with my student discount. They seem to have the best portability/battery-life, but the hardware seems a bit dated. I don't know what the difference is with a core 2 duo in a mac or an i3-i5 in a pc is, though. Supposedly Macs "just work better". I'm pretty clueless about all of this, thanks for the help.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

What about the Sony VAIO EA? It has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5-450M processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space. It has a 14" screen and only weighs 5.2 lbs.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Kooki

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Maziar, the ASUS looks nice. But, am I reading the site wrong or does it not have a cd/dvd drive? Isabella, the Vaio looks nice too, but I think the battery life might be a little shorter than I need.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

The battery life of the Sony Vaio is pretty typical of a laptop with those specs. If you want extra battery life, you may want to consider buying an additional battery. The only downside to that is that it will add some weight to the laptop.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team