Solved! New laptop crashes Internet for whole household

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2018
Brand new HP Pavillion laptop crashes Internet for all users on the same BT homeHub regardless of connection method.

I have recently started working from home, Helping blockchain startups with their initial coin offerings as a community manager, this is a big change of industry for me, and I have been using my girlfriends Laptop, not ideal as she is doing a degree, this weekend she has gone to see her sister and won't be home for 3 nights.

I've had to bite the bullet and buy my own as I can't spend 3 nights and 4 days only being able to use my iPad and iPhone, I'm supposed to be learning how to use our new cryptocurrency futures trading exchange DApp, it goes live on Tuesday!

So I went to PC world and bought a brand new HP Pavillion Power Laptop 15-cb060sa running Windows 10.

When I got it home it seemed OK, nothing special but alright.

I put in the wireless key and connect wirelessly.

I downloaded chrome and telegram using EE.

I started logging into my business Gmail accounts.

And opened a convo with the founders of one of the company's I am working with to begin learning about and testing the new platform.

It's now about 25 mins after firing up the laptop and the Internet comes to a almost complete stop, but not just on the laptop, the PS4 and personal devices all die too.

So I plug the Ethernet cable into the laptop, and try again.

Still the same, everything has almost 0 connection.

I turn the lapto off, everything returns to normal for the PS4 and personal devices.

When I turn it on, by the time Windows is running the connection dies again.

This is a brand new laptop but it feel like I'm suffering from some kind of denial of service attack.

I only downloaded 2 things - telegram and chrome, and only went on one website Gmail.

I have reset the router, reset the router settings, turned it all off, waited, turned it on again.

Nothing, no clue, please help!

These jobs are a real opportunity for me and this issue is quite embarrassing when I'm the only one in the team that isn't online to join the development!

Cheers.

Solution
^That's probably enough to do it. You can see what's grabbing the network usage in task manager (probably WU).

Leave it on overnight or something and see if it finishes.
Feb 23, 2018
"Flawed wifi card" I have disabled wifi completely and connected via the Ethernet cable - no change.

"Windows update" we do have a slow Internet speed here, around 1 Meg.
Windows is attampting to do a download but it just gets stuck at "preparing to download updates 17%" and doesn't seem to get any further when it's connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.