Solved! New laptop, first start-up

Mikeh108

Estimable
Apr 25, 2015
Hi,

I have just bought a HP Pavilion 15-cx0670nd laptop. I've heard before I should charge/discharge the laptop completely before using it. I searched around, but I can't get a clear answer.
What I would like to know:
1. What do I do when I receive the laptop? Should I charge completely before even starting it up?
2. Do I full charge and discharge the laptop multiple times before first use?
3. Does discharging the laptop damage the battery? (charge up when below 20%?)
4. Does fully charging the battery damage the battery? (charge until the laptop is 95%?)
5. Does it damage the battery to keep the adapter in when the laptop is fully charged?
6. After first use, should I keep discharging and fully charging? Or can I charge when I want?

Thank you in advance!

Mike

Solution
1. Yes, you generally want to full charge it the first time.
2. I've never heard of having to fully discharge and charge multiple time. Just full charge it the first time.
3. Yes, letting a lithium ion battery fully discharge can reduce its lifespan. You generally want to keep it above 20%.
4. Full charging is not bad for it. Just make sure you remove the charger once it is full.
5. Yes, this can also reduce its lifespan.
6. After first use, charge it whenever you want. Just don't let it drop below 20% and don't leave it on the charger for a long time.

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
1. Yes, you generally want to full charge it the first time.
2. I've never heard of having to fully discharge and charge multiple time. Just full charge it the first time.
3. Yes, letting a lithium ion battery fully discharge can reduce its lifespan. You generally want to keep it above 20%.
4. Full charging is not bad for it. Just make sure you remove the charger once it is full.
5. Yes, this can also reduce its lifespan.
6. After first use, charge it whenever you want. Just don't let it drop below 20% and don't leave it on the charger for a long time.

Solution

Mikeh108

Estimable
Apr 25, 2015
Hi,

Thank you both for the information, I fully charged the laptop.
From full charge it lasted a little less than 2 hours. This is while browsing on chrome, brightness at half and the keyboard light turned off. I'm using the 'better battery' power-setting. There aren't any programs running in the back. I feel like this is a lot shorter than my last laptop. Is two hours a normal duration for a laptop?

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
No, that is not a normal duration. It will improve over a few charge cycles but not by much. According to the manufacturer, under mixed usage, that laptop should last for about 10 hours. I would contact the manufacturer about the issue because they will likely replace the battery and/or the whole laptop.